Have a problem need advice / suggestions

FiredudeL4

Reaction score
Hey guys, got a little issue with the truck, I recently (about 2 wks. ago) had to replace the alternator, well here in the last week or so I have twice had to put the batteries on a charger due to it not wanting to start -cuss -cuss , I have noticed that after chargeing enough to start that the needle on the ~chargeing gauage is REAL slow to move up, its down towards the N of normal and moves up to the R/M at a real slow pace, after driveing for awhile and shuting it off and restarting the moves right up :confused: , I had the alternator checked and it showed good, they suggested unplugging it at night to see if there was not a "short" that was draining it, tried that and it was the same this am, gauage was slow to come up and it almost did not want to start, any ideas? batteries should be good as they are only about a 6-7 mths old.

stay safe out there
Roy :draw

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
batteries should be good as they are only about a 6-7 mths old.

I'm sure you checked the batt connections :D

Did they also test the batteries when the alt was checked?

Did they say what the charging amps was when tested against the rated output of the alt?

Does the alt gauge drop when you turn on high draw items like headlights and ac?

Was it tested where you bought it?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pay special attenion to the ground strap on both ends of your (-) neg batt lead.

FiredudeL4

Reaction score
Thanks guys:

Batt. conections are ok gave them a once over

No the batt. were not checked when the alt. was

No did not say what chargeing amps were, vs. rated output

No the alt. gauage did not drop when I turned on the Lights, and AC

Yes it was tested were I bought it,

I purchase alot of little stuff at this parts house (hell even have a account) so I dont think that they would try to screw me, the owner told me to unplug the alt. and let it sit over night to see if there was a short draining the batt. and if it was he had another one in stock and said he would put it on himself for my troubles. I dont even now if it is the Alt. I just know this started after replaceing it a few weeks ago :confused: :confused:

stay safe out there
Roy :draw