Hard to get into gear

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Red is at it again. Now, I'm having trouble with shifting into gear. The column shifter seems really loose. Once I get it in the right spot, things are great, but it's getting it into the right spot. Once I get the truck in gear the shifter has a ton of play in it. The linkage on the tranny looks fine and the tranny operates fine, it's just getting from park to reverse or drive.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a problem in the column then. Maybe somebody who's had this problem will chime in.

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told there is a locking nut in the column that may have come loose but I can't find anything on it in the tech manual.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You need the shifter cable I think. Does it start every time or some times it doesn't start? I had that problem before and the best fix is to get the shifter cable replaced, takes about 20 minutes.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I was told there is a locking nut in the column that may have come loose but I can't find anything on it in the tech manual.
There should be something to regulate the shifter readings but the fact that it does not shift is because the cable is worn.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
You have a loose nut in the column, You can get to it under the column I have had this on a couple of 92 and up trucks, not a bad job, just start diggin around up in there and you will see what it needs

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was doing that. Turned out it was the place where the cable connects on the bottom of the column. All I had to do was tighten up the 3 hex bolts there where the cable connects to the column and it was fine, no adjustment necessary.

Hope that's all it is for you...

zigg :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin