Hard starts? Read this.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After fighting with hard hot starts on a 1991 7.3 N/A (lines replaced, new filters, electric pump, new
batteries, lots of troubleshooting), I ran across a solution that worked for me.
After running out of fuel ( 1/4 tank thing with the shower head, not paying attention), I burned the
starter up trying to bleed it. (NO tools, no ether, no WD40 - on the side of the road).
Towed the truck back, replaced the starter, and now it cranks almost like it should.
Not even a new starter. Wrecking yard replacement (was handy).

Now down to: heat GP's, crank it over a couple of times, reheat GP's, and fire it up.
It used to take about three cycles when cold, and a bunch of fiddling when hot.
Cranking speed DOES make a difference. Hope this helps someone else.
<als>

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sure does make a differance how fast the engine cranks. Reasons behind this is the faster air is compressed the hotter it gets. Diesel is heat only ignition and it requires 942 degrees to lite off. This is why I have posted so many times about slow cranking and no starts. A bad starter or batterys low or crappy connections slow down the cranking speeds. Some even crank till the starter stops. No chance in hell of a start then and a probable burned out starter. At the very least you have taken plenty of life from the starter.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
yeah once a few mud washes in the scout the starters get lazy and it doesn't like to fire, fresh starter and charged batteries and it lights right off

crab bucket

Crab Bucket
Reaction score
I had a bad water pump that was enough of a drag to make my truck had to start. For a long time it didn't leak or show a lot of play, so I thought the hard starts were caused by something else.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can timing play a part in hard starting? I've done a lot of stuff to my engine and it still starts hard. The pump was replaced by a shop that does not have the ability to time correctly. I'm considering calling Conestoga Diesel to make an appointment. The only thing holding me back is distance, they are about 2.5 hours one way from me.