Hard starting truck is now a no starting truck

SKimballC

Reaction score
My truck has been having a hard cold start problem for a while, I changed the plugs to Beru's, but that didn't help though 3 of my AC delco's were bad. My truck does burn biodiesel and vegetable oil mostly. I know that probably be at least part of the problem, something in my rerouting of fuel lines is allowing an air leak most likely but I can't find it. Now's the trouble- I had to give in and have an alignment shop fix my steering that I couldn't get right and when I got it back yesterday it wouldn't restart when it was hot. I let it cool down and got it started with starting fluid. Later on, I decided to turn the IP timing back up a tad as I tried retarding it a little bit a few weeks ago, which quieted it down and lessened the black smoke considerably. Then I adjusted the external fuel screw on the back of the IP some and it wouldn't even turn over. I turned it back to where it was and it started, I don't know if it was the fuel adjustment or low batteries or what was the problem, but it ran OK until stalling while running after driving for 35 minutes. Today it had its usual hard cold start but ran fine as I drove around town for about an hour. I shut it off to unlock a gate and tried restarting 30 seconds later and it wouldn't. This is on diesel. Nothing. It has fuel at the injectors and pressure from the lift pump. No visible fuel leaks. I killed the batteries trying to start it so I can't mess with it til tommorow. One question- should fuel come from the return on the IP while cranking? I don't think there is, if there should be. Also, the near full can of starting fluid I had in the truck is waaaaay emptier than it should be, don't know how much of that stuff the alignment guys sprayed in my truck while they were working on my power steering.
I figured I'd give y'all a little background on the problem. Any advice? Is my IP toast?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
ummmm,How empty is the can......how much was in it.....If they used ether they could have damaged your engine with too much.Anything from blows heads,blown head gaskets,Broken rings,burned valves,melted pistons,scarred cylinder walls,Bent rods,etc.Starting fluid is a last resort,Can't get a tow,middle of the ghetto durring a Riot type thing ONLY!

SKimballC

Reaction score
The can was almost full, now it feels light and considerably emptier. I hate to think about that. :frustrate It seems fuel related since it ran normal then just wouldn't restart. If they helped destroy my engine with ether I would hope it was more obvious than this. I did get it started once about 5 hours after it crapped out, albeit with a little spray of the evil stuff, but it died after about 5 seconds despite giving it throttle, pretty much as soon as it had burned the ether. I don't know. Its sitting on a street, not mine, and as soon as my batteries are recharged here I am going back over to try it again. But I am tired and frustrated and sunburned from being in the sun screwing with it all afternoon. Maybe with fully charged batteries I can get started.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Although you have hard starting problems, you also said if you try to restart the engine after a few seconds it wont start so I would also consider to get a new IP.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When this is all repaired install an electric lift pump. Then any air leaks will be wet spots. How many miles are on the injection pump and injectors? Changing the fuel filter may help but it really sounds like the upmp is gone. Starting fluid used with glow plugs hot will burn out the plugs. Like said... Its for that "special" time when you really need to get out of dodge in a hurry or loose something...... -cuss Don't give up. It will work again. Maybe the starter isn't turning it over fast enough to start it....

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Hey- Whenever I had to use ether I sprayed a quick shot of it outside of the air filter, just took the inlet hose off and gave the shortest burst I could, then put the hose back on and let it sit for a minute so the ether would equalize inside the air filter housing, worked like a charm, and no one cylinder got a big burst, still a little hard to start (dead glowplugs) but gave me just enough heat that it would start in a few cranks, instead of a couple revolutions as with the GPs it took 6-8.

SKimballC

Reaction score
It was the lift pump. The reason it was running OK was because there's a little electric pump to move the grease from the tank in the bed. So when I switched it back to diesel it wouldn''t run- or restart, since starting is normally done on diesel.
Icanfixall- you read my mind. I installed an electric pump instead of replacing the mechanical one. Works fine, its something I was gonna do one of these days anyhow...
I believe so far that my glow plugs are once again doing their job as well. The truck started cold after 2 cycles of the plugs and a little extra cranking probably to work the air out from the pump job. Granted, its getting hot here in Memphis already, but so far so good.
I have always been as sparing as possible with that old starting fluid, but I guess I made the mistake of thinking that the mechanics at the shop knew to do so as well and were even listening to me when I told them as much. Its what I get for taking my truck to a shop.
Napabavarian- you the same NapaBavarian from the VW Vanagon world? Gotta be just one of you with that name. I remember you from my Vanagon days not so long ago. I was one of those guys doing the Subaru SVX engine thing. That was one fast van.
Thanks for all the advice guys. As much as I appreciate it, I hope I don't need any more anytime too soon.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm glad to know things are normal again for you. I understand sometimes it seems easier to just throw your hands up and walk away but then you think it thru and bingo... Its all good again. Now thats a great feeling... ;Sweet