Hard start issues

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
Got an 88 f250. Engine is very hard to start. Replaced all the glow plugs with ford motor-craft/ buru plugs. New glow plug control box. Checked continuity of the wiring harness, all is checking out ok. Even the wait to start light is staying on the proper length of time. Is there a possibility that current from the batteries are not getting to the plugs? Could bad injectors cause hard starting? When warm, engine runs great, just having very hard time starting. Any ideas? :confused:

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess would be batteries. Are they the proper batteries and are ALL of the cable connections secure and CLEAN? Battery problems are the number 1 cause of no starts and hard starts.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it smoke one second after you start cranking it or does it take 6-7 seconds for any smoke to start churning? Could still be air intrusion somewhere after sitting.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Where in pa are you located? There are many of us that could check it out if your close, or you could try and swing by the rally next week in Bedford, many of us there to look it over for ya.

Grendel

Reaction score
This may not be your problem but I went through this over the winter/spring and for me it ended up being a weak starter. I did have an glow plug issue [plugs and wiring, fixed while troubleshooting] but still had a hard time cranking when cold, thought it was weak batteries so invested in new batteries still same issue. Once I would get it to start the first time in the day it would start what appeared normally the rest of the day but then the next time I went to use the truck it would not want to start and sounded like the battery was dieing. Then the lightbulb went off and I realized it was cranking slowly [assume brushes going/gone bad]. I bit the bullet and bought a new gear reduction starter [old starter was the original OEM direct drive starter]. Put in the new starter and issue gone, barely have to engage the key now to start.

Dill Idi diesel

Reaction score
My 6.9 idi will only start when it's cold if I hear a couple clicks before turning over and if it doesn't click it will just turn over but not start and the wait to start light works normal either way Im thinking gp relay what do you guys think really use your input