Hard/no start when sitting/cold - 2000 F250 7.3

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... Finished the oil cooler rebuild+reinstall last night. Didn't leak a drop!
Took her to work today... Left home with just under 1/4 tank. 10 miles later, I was at 1/8 tank. Pulling into work parking lot, fuel low light went on.
Decided to take her across the road to the grocery store for lunch(1/2-1 mile away). She started missing on 1 cylinder, and getting rougher idle. Fire back up, running roughly... get to the last road just before the turn to my work and... as I'm crossing the road(45MPH) she dies and I'm just coasting.
My friend helped me push her off the road and into the parking lot at work.

After work, we put 5 gallons of diesel in... try to start and... battery dead. Jump it and... nothing. Troubleshoot - fuel pump is working, but no fuel getting to bowl.
Finally get 10 more gallons in two jerry cans, bring it back, fill her up and... she's got fuel now. Give it a couple cycles of the key, and she fires right up.
Disconnect the jump starting rig(which we actually borrowed the battery from to use as one of my two - leaving it running with no battery and just jumper cables to the dead ones in my f-250) return it's battery, let my friend go home... and 2 minutes later the truck just dies. Battery voltage got too low.

We try it again, she fires right up with a good battery again... this time I disconnected the glow plug controller. And... she stays running and drives home(now running on all 8 again!).

So... needs some new batteries(which I got) and I'm still not sure why the glow plug controller would stay on or continue cycling after the engine is running for more than 30s. Is that normal?

Also, looks like my sender isn't working right, or at least the bottom 1/4 tank isn't.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Broken shower head? This seems to die somewhere around 1/2 to 1/4 tank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88