Hands down best diesel electric fuel pump for our IDI's?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have and I will continue to. Besides that's what my SOCOMM is for :) seems to make the SO guys pretty happy too...

I'll be right beside you with any number of my "wooden clubs" and .30 cal slugs.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal preference is the carter pumps, my 6.9 has a P4070 on it. Unlike the holleys, it is a fuel lubed/cooled motor, permanent magnet... The things go forever, and I have experience with them in just about every application you can think of, both diesel and gas.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I think I'm going to end up using what is referred to as a FASS pump - common in waste oil conversions. They're upwards of $300.00 but are supposed to be the way to go. I'll use a single pump behind a 3 port valve to pull from both #2 and waste oil tanks.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal preference is the carter pumps, my 6.9 has a P4070 on it. Unlike the holleys, it is a fuel lubed/cooled motor, permanent magnet... The things go forever, and I have experience with them in just about every application you can think of, both diesel and gas.

Here's the P4070 - 6psi at 72gph:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...700+4294836965+400415+307759+115&autoview=sku

Here's a P4594 - 8psi at 72gph:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...700+4294836965+400415+307759+115&autoview=sku

Here's a P4389 - 6psi at 72gph:

And here's a 4600 beast - 8psi at 100gph!

Oddly enough, of the four only the P4389 one is listed as a diesel-capable pump. I also happens to be a marine pump, and is therefore way more expensive than the other three pumps. Anyone know what makes the marine pump so special, and why is it that it is the only one rated for diesel use?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
36gph or so, but figure if the pump is strong enough to handle 100gph at 8psi it's gotta be able to move the WMO as well, be it at half speed and/or pressure.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I would take the Carter GP4600HP out of the four. You need all the volume You can get and put a regulator if it is too much. One thing I learned is some of this pumps are rated to some level but when You put Your foot on the go pedal You don't want the pressure to fall and that is exactly what happens with many of this pumps they don't supply enough volume so the pressure falls very fast. I have two pumps inline and I can keep good pressure this way but one pump alone can not handle it, I have a pressure gauge right before the IP and I can see it fall when I get on it fully loaded up hill. The holley was good for this but that crappy shaft seal makes it dangerous to Me.

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been curious about this for a short time now as well. I see a lot of what looks like decent options.
For the record; I'll take my 1903 Springfield for the long shots.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I've been having fuel starvation issues with my Carrier pump. Would putting another one after the first, be enough to overcome my pressure fall-off?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take the Carter GP4600HP out of the four. You need all the volume You can get and put a regulator if it is too much. One thing I learned is some of this pumps are rated to some level but when You put Your foot on the go pedal You don't want the pressure to fall and that is exactly what happens with many of this pumps they don't supply enough volume so the pressure falls very fast. I have two pumps inline and I can keep good pressure this way but one pump alone can not handle it, I have a pressure gauge right before the IP and I can see it fall when I get on it fully loaded up hill. The holley was good for this but that crappy shaft seal makes it dangerous to Me.

Yes, I'd go with the GP4600 as well, it runs a bit on the high side as far as pressure goes but still within the norm, and this way even when it drops under load it will still be enough to feed the IP good. EZ, what pumps are you running?

tractorman86

Reaction score
The holley was good for this but that crappy shaft seal makes it dangerous to Me.

have you looked at the marine pumps i just looked them up and they have a vent tube where the typical weep hole is. this seems like a heck of an idea but it is quite a bit more expensive.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'm running a carrier/facet pump (until it dies) and the pump on the link I posted before. The second one looks like a very good design but on My setup I need two of them or I would starve the pump. I'm still looking for a good pump I can use instead of two (thank You tractorman) the marine ones seem a bit cheaper and still stronger than the ones offered out there for diesel truck applications.

The pumps in parallel will not work if later they connect to the same line bc they will fight for the fuel and starve one another until the weakest one quit working. I installed both My pumps in the same line one after another and the pressure is higher than parallel also they seem to work better this way. Keep in mind I have a few filters before and after the pumps to assure the fuel is well filtered before it gets to the IP.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I'm running a carrier/facet pump (until it dies) and the pump on the link I posted before. The second one looks like a very good design but on My setup I need two of them or I would starve the pump. I'm still looking for a good pump I can use instead of two (thank You tractorman) the marine ones seem a bit cheaper and still stronger than the ones offered out there for diesel truck applications.

The pumps in parallel will not work if later they connect to the same line bc they will fight for the fuel and starve one another until the weakest one quit working. I installed both My pumps in the same line one after another and the pressure is higher than parallel also they seem to work better this way. Keep in mind I have a few filters before and after the pumps to assure the fuel is well filtered before it gets to the IP.

Thanks for the thorough explanation! Right now, I have one Dura-Lift pump after the tank selector. Needless to say, my IP is starving for fuel. I'm going to try mounting my second Dura-Lift pump in the engine compartment, to see if this solves the problem. If not, I will move it down to where the other one is. I also bought a cheap fuel pressure gauge, for diagnostic purposes. It's not designed to be mounted in the cab, but will do for now. If I have a fuel leak from it in the cab, my lift pump kill switch will handle it. It is only temporary and for testing purposes only. I will be getting a proper FPG that comes with the sending unit, for a permanent solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online