Grind in driver side hub

ckyle494

Reaction score
I am new here to this site and have a question. My wife has a 03 Expedition 5.4l with 4WD/AWD, recently (just starting today) the driverside hub sounds like it is trying to engage even when it is in 2WD. I just got new tires (same size as original 265/70/17's) at Sam's. Could they have done anything to it. I also have a 00 F-350 4X4 that seemed to do the same thing but come to find out the FORD STEALER service guy broke my connection for my X-fer case and had to JURRY rig it to stop trying to engage. Only after I had bought the steed braided hub lines and that didn't fix the problem. Any help would be very well welcomed.

Thanks
Chris

beebelawn

Reaction score
wheel bearing maybe. not sure on that 1/2 ton running gear but on 3/4 straight axle they have needle bearings on the axle shaft that go bad and they catch the axle shaft when driving.

ckyle494

Reaction score
Not sure if same platform as 150 but mine is when the switch is in the 4AWD mode it doesn't sound like the 4X4 is trying to engage just only when the switch is in 2WD. Also when I turn the vehicle sharp and excelerate, from a stop, it sounds like the u-joints are coming out of the thing or worse. -cuss :frustrate

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Ok, from what I read the '03 Expys are like the '04 F-150s which fall out of my area of knowledge. I do know they have a somewhat complicated unique vacuum lockin hubs, but not much about how they work. Your gonna wanna read up on the '04+ section of F150online.

Adrianspeeder