Grade 8 bolts for exh.mani

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finishing up taking passenger side exhaust manifold out of 7.3 idit f350(will post pics). Before I put in these new 3/8-16 bolts I had a few questions. Bolts I just pulled out have flange/ washer built in and I was told lock washer will do since new bolts just have head. 10 yr old bolts that came out of truck are just black an no coatings appear to be used(anti -seize burned off?) so wondering about never seize or other recommendations for coating bolts for exhaust manifold.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx for quick reply can focus now on cutting off the last few bolts hah inside threads are good just heads of bolt on a few got welded to manifold. New downpipe going in aswell will document this project on new thread if ud suggest

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not to rain on you picnik but these exhaust manifold bolts are an interference thread. They turn in hard so they wont back off from the heating and cooling cycles. Ford and international sell them in bags of 8 I recall. Not expensive either. check ebay for them. you never know whats gong to show up on there. I know the u haul site had them ofeed about a year ago. They had lots of them. I can look up the torque for you but its kind of a lost idea if the bolts turn in tight. I used all new bolts and also added some anitseive on them. they came with something already on the threads but I wanted more.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ guess I was wrong.
I should've known since the powerstroke are like that.
Bout $8 a bolt for the psd. Hopefully cheaper for the Idi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FWIW, this is the stuff we use in the OSB mill for fasteners that experience significant heat and heat cycling for many, many years at a time. It's a little expensive, and I'm not sure I'd buy it if I wasn't able to get it for free, but if you want to be able to back a bolt out of an exhaust manifold in twenty years with zero drama, its the only stuff to use. Great for wheel studs too.

http://www.amazon.com/Walter-53D854-Ceramic-Anti-Seize-Lubricant/dp/B003OAI9R4

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been following u guys since I was a kid...thinking I read that interference bolts aren't reusable and pointless to use again?

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in an oddly good situation where the original bolts were already out cuz of engine being pulled for an oilpan/overhaul

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to keep things as they should be so even though iv waited 2 weeks to find time for Napa and have bolts finally..if ur recommending the interference bolts I could've sworn they aren't to be put back in since they already locked in previously?

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks bab. I feel like 20$ is worth saving someone about 8 hrs of torture. Thinking this old girl could survive another 20

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only bolt that came out without a fuss. Rest I can't even get a socket on heads all distorted and literally welded on so I'll be trimming heads till I can pop this thing off.

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This passenger side manifold connects to the Y pipe right? Getting all my terms correct for a proper write up to maybe give someone else more confidence. Feel like I owe this forum a lil something lol

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still struggling with 1 bolt blocked by starter. Thought ud like to see my new 2 peice flange hanging by 1 stud lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online