Gotta few questions.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao
Um what threads are you referring to?

I've personally done a couple different timing threads and I don't recall anyone elses threads saying oh I can time by ear:rotflmao

I know I have written countless walkthroughs on how to time one of these engines by ear... HOWEVER. Every single one starts with "PM Gary (Icanfixall) as he rents timing meters for these trucks." And ends with: "Even if you can make it 'rattle on command' with the cold advance wire. Your engine could still be too far advanced and eating itself slowly from the inside out. Get a meter ASAP and get it timed."

Because timing by ear, is not timing anything at all...

I can't speak to the "most of us time by ear" I don't have real #'s. BUT I have NEVER heard ANYONE here say that it was a good idea before. Sure sometimes you do what you have to, to keep driving. But it's like duct tape, not a permanent solution.

Also, I went through several IP's that were worn out before I got my fuel system replaced. (hey a good IP isn't cheap, and I had to keep it driving.) Every one of them badly underfueled, no matter if I turned them up, or not. You could very well be "maxed out," and not hardly getting enough fuel to move down the road.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
does it have a good rattle when started with advance on? what screw was the guy trying to turn? did he remove the triangle cover? I would get it timed first, then pull the triangle cover and try to turn it yourself if you bottom it back it off about 1/3 of a turn
Like a fuel knock ya it does.it idles rough till it's warm inless it's plugged in.its got blueish grey smoke till it warms up.it pours black smoke when you first start it then goes bluish grey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I know I have written countless walkthroughs on how to time one of these engines by ear... HOWEVER. Every single one starts with "PM Gary (Icanfixall) as he rents timing meters for these trucks." And ends with: "Even if you can make it 'rattle on command' with the cold advance wire. Your engine could still be too far advanced and eating itself slowly from the inside out. Get a meter ASAP and get it timed."

Because timing by ear, is not timing anything at all...

I can't speak to the "most of us time by ear" I don't have real #'s. BUT I have NEVER heard ANYONE here say that it was a good idea before. Sure sometimes you do what you have to, to keep driving. But it's like duct tape, not a permanent solution.

Also, I went through several IP's that were worn out before I got my fuel system replaced. (hey a good IP isn't cheap, and I had to keep it driving.) Every one of them badly underfueled, no matter if I turned them up, or not. You could very well be "maxed out," and not hardly getting enough fuel to move down the road.

It does seem alittle under powerd but it may just by my butt dyno thinking it is.it runs great once it warms up has a real smooth idle and yes it was the triangle cover.hopefully I can get a moose junior sometime

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um what threads are you referring to?

I've personally done a couple different timing threads and I don't recall anyone elses threads saying oh I can time by ear

NOT ONCE in any thread was I suggesting to time by ear for a final setting.

We are here and know what has been said in the threads, so please

EVERYONE we can help you time I'm in BC Canada and offer the support to the crowd!

Don't listen to this do it by ear statement because we are here to help you do it correctly!

JM2CW

Wow never have I seen the such rudeness on here. I was only trying to help and contribute. You don't have to agree with me but for the next 6 post to be about how wrong you think I am is quite unnecessary.

Thanks for my morning laugh. Where are you getting this"Most of us time by ear" thought....
From You to start with!!! You said in another thread that that most shops don't have the equipment to time our trucks and that Ford dealers don't even carry the equipment anymore since 2002 and they admit that timing by ear is what you will get from them. Several others have said that taking you truck to local shops to be timed is a bad idea. The shops around me will time it by ear for you too I asked a few years back. Several didn't even know there was a timing meter for our trucks. So in reality probably 80-90% of the trucks out there on the road are getting timed by ear because most shops don't have the equipment to do it and believed that timing by ear is how it's done. Unless somebody is timing thousands of trucks a day somewhere.

Sorry didn't mean to include you in the us category but the majority of the owners don't even visit this site. They just take there truck to their local mechanic and let him tell them what's right.

Lets see "threads I'm referring to" are all over the place!!! Maybe you guys should read a few. Where do you think I got the idea from in the first place. Every other timing thread on here mentions timing by ear or how the motor sounds and acts as you bump it up or down.

I call on this comment as it's crap, and as Gary said he rents the meters out, heck I even worked directly with him to get his timing meter program back up and running when it failed due to incompitent user abuse!

Pay attention to the thread. Gary hadn't said anything about renting timing meter yet when I posted my comment and you might be on a first name basis but I don't know him.

Anyone who needs a timing job has access to the tools in the N American Continent if they choose to!

Don't listen to this do it by ear statement because we are here to help you do it correctly!

I had heard of the timing meter rental program but it has been while and couldn't remember who did it much less if i read it here, at ford-trucks or the diesel stop or so I was not going to be able to help him there. Just because its common knowledge to you guys who are on here all the time doesn't mean the rest of us know it.

I've got a big snow shovel here you can use to move thatright straight outta here!!
Sounds to me like you need the shovel more and should pass it around.

I know I have written countless walk throughs on how to time one of these engines by ear... HOWEVER

No its not HOWEVER!!! You admit to writing countless walk throughts on how to do exactly what I suggested and yet you put me down for just saying its a possibility and that he should read up on it. I didn't even offer advise on how to do it. Just that it was possibility and he should read up on timing threads where he would have probably come across the timing rental program anyways. He might not have the time to wait or money and its his choice and his truck in the end and he should have all the options out there not just what you think is right for him.

For the most part this forum will not beat up a member for asking a question thats sounding silly.

No just for giving advise you don't agree with even though this forum is full of advise on how to time it by ear. I also noticed that nobody else was criticized for mentioning it in there posts.

I have NEVER heard ANYONE here say that it was a good idea before.
You didn't here me say it either. Just you could do it and that a lot of people have done it and he should read up on it.

We are here and know what has been said in the threads, so please
Apparently you don't know as much as you think

Originally Posted by Wyreth View Post above :eek:
I know I have written countless walkthroughs on how to time one of these engines by ear...:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Here's some quotes from threads that mention timing by ear:

Mel Agne tech article on Servicing Ford 6.9/7.3 idi Diesel fuel system here on Oilburners
"I consider myself to do very well timing by ear"
http://www.oilburners.net/brian/idi/FuelInjectionServicing.htm

Oldbull8 here on Oilburners said
You can try to time by ear, but it's always best to have a timing device like a Ferrett and a good digital timing light.

Agnem on Oilburners
My ear is really experienced, as are others. I find the ear tends to get it within 2 degrees

Diesel JD Oilburners
You want to listen for a distinct diesel clatter, but not real loud and harsh like a Cummins. It should have a good big truck sound, no knocking or bad noises. It should not smoke at idle. It should black smoke just a bit under hard accleration or climbing a hill, not any other time. If you don't have excessive smoke or abnormally harsh operating noise you're probably ok.

Rdsl
Advance is toward the passenger side. No more than a dimes width at a time. If it starts knocking especially on cold start you have gone too far.

gonecrazyi oilburners
I know a few guys that were mechanics at ford, I asked them how they timed these motors and have been told several times that they did it by ear

Diesel JD Oilburners differnent thread
I don't like timing by ear. It's trial and error

cdnsarguy on thedieselstop.com
Some of us set the timing by "ear". This comes from some experimentation and experience. I like mine so that when the engine is cold, as the cold advance is on, the engine rattles pretty loud, but once the cold advance drops off, then the rattle smooths out and the engine is much more quiet.

Kevin 007 here in oilburners
If you are going to time it by ear, the pump should be set in a spot that allows the motor to start instantly when hot.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the history of this truck per say?

I'm curious about the history so we can gain a starting point.

So lets back this thread up a bit to why you replaced the IP?

How many miles on the truck?

Do the injectors have GREY paint on them.

What history to this truck do you know, how long have you had it and so on.

I'm still thinking a worn/used IP could be not as good as the one you had, however some history as mentioned would be helpful.

Have you by chance done a compression test? If not are you able to do or have one done?

This may help you a tad and your friendly mechanic,
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...tment-for-timing-purposes&highlight=IP+timing

Not knowing what he knows I'm only offering that as support for you.

So get back to us please with what that history is, it may give us more insight to assist you further!

Al

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Hhhmm the history of.well to start off its a 86 4 speed 4x4.the original owner had it since new I think and hauled cattle and tractors and stuff like that.it has I'm gonna say 179,509 miles and the reason we replaced the ip was cause if the truck sat 5 mines or longer even when being hot it wouldn't start with out glow plugs.the truck was origanaly parked around 08 or 01 were not sure the owner says 01 but it was tagged for 08.any way it was parked cause cause he couldn't get it to start and didn't wanna mess with the glow plugs cause he's pretty old.we went through 2 sets of glow plugs before we replaced the ip but now it startes just fine hot or cold.before you couldn't start it with out glowplugs even if it was plugged in it would take along time I start it.now plugged in no glow plugs it'll fire right off.the reason we replaced it with a used pump was because we got it for free to test on it before we went and bought a new pump.if it was injectors it would always be blueish grey smoke wouldn't it.it only smokes like that when I start it and if I rev it high.but it's supposed to be maxed out but I just don't think it can push the fuel

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
And I've had it since the fist of January and have put about 600 or so miles on it.bout 100 miles on the new pump

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow never have I seen the such rudeness on here. I was only trying to help and contribute. You don't have to agree with me but for the next 6 post to be about how wrong you think I am is quite unnecessary.

From You to start with!!! You said in another thread that that most shops don't have the equipment to time our trucks and that Ford dealers don't even carry the equipment anymore since 2002 and they admit that timing by ear is what you will get from them. Several others have said that taking you truck to local shops to be timed is a bad idea. The shops around me will time it by ear for you too I asked a few years back. Several didn't even know there was a timing meter for our trucks. So in reality probably 80-90% of the trucks out there on the road are getting timed by ear because most shops don't have the equipment to do it and believed that timing by ear is how it's done. Unless somebody is timing thousands of trucks a day somewhere.

Sorry didn't mean to include you in the us category but the majority of the owners don't even visit this site. They just take there truck to their local mechanic and let him tell them what's right.

Lets see "threads I'm referring to" are all over the place!!! Maybe you guys should read a few. Where do you think I got the idea from in the first place. Every other timing thread on here mentions timing by ear or how the motor sounds and acts as you bump it up or down.

Pay attention to the thread. Gary hadn't said anything about renting timing meter yet when I posted my comment and you might be on a first name basis but I don't know him.

I had heard of the timing meter rental program but it has been while and couldn't remember who did it much less if i read it here, at ford-trucks or the diesel stop or so I was not going to be able to help him there. Just because its common knowledge to you guys who are on here all the time doesn't mean the rest of us know it.

Sounds to me like you need the shovel more and should pass it around.

No its not HOWEVER!!! You admit to writing countless walk throughts on how to do exactly what I suggested and yet you put me down for just saying its a possibility and that he should read up on it. I didn't even offer advise on how to do it. Just that it was possibility and he should read up on timing threads where he would have probably come across the timing rental program anyways. He might not have the time to wait or money and its his choice and his truck in the end and he should have all the options out there not just what you think is right for him.

No just for giving advise you don't agree with even though this forum is full of advise on how to time it by ear. I also noticed that nobody else was criticized for mentioning it in there posts.

You didn't here me say it either. Just you could do it and that a lot of people have done it and he should read up on it.

Apparently you don't know as much as you think

Originally Posted by Wyreth View Post above :eek:
I know I have written countless walkthroughs on how to time one of these engines by ear...:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Here's some quotes from threads that mention timing by ear:

Mel Agne tech article on Servicing Ford 6.9/7.3 idi Diesel fuel system here on Oilburners
"I consider myself to do very well timing by ear"
http://www.oilburners.net/brian/idi/FuelInjectionServicing.htm

Oldbull8 here on Oilburners said
You can try to time by ear, but it's always best to have a timing device like a Ferrett and a good digital timing light.

Agnem on Oilburners
My ear is really experienced, as are others. I find the ear tends to get it within 2 degrees

Diesel JD Oilburners
You want to listen for a distinct diesel clatter, but not real loud and harsh like a Cummins. It should have a good big truck sound, no knocking or bad noises. It should not smoke at idle. It should black smoke just a bit under hard accleration or climbing a hill, not any other time. If you don't have excessive smoke or abnormally harsh operating noise you're probably ok.

Rdsl
Advance is toward the passenger side. No more than a dimes width at a time. If it starts knocking especially on cold start you have gone too far.

gonecrazyi oilburners
I know a few guys that were mechanics at ford, I asked them how they timed these motors and have been told several times that they did it by ear

Diesel JD Oilburners differnent thread
I don't like timing by ear. It's trial and error

cdnsarguy on thedieselstop.com
Some of us set the timing by "ear". This comes from some experimentation and experience. I like mine so that when the engine is cold, as the cold advance is on, the engine rattles pretty loud, but once the cold advance drops off, then the rattle smooths out and the engine is much more quiet.

Kevin 007 here in oilburners
If you are going to time it by ear, the pump should be set in a spot that allows the motor to start instantly when hot.

I have timed my trucks and some other family members by ear and the few times I've had them checked with a meter afterwards, they were only 1 to 2 degrees off.
Although not always proper, if you've been around enough of these trucks long enough to know how they should sound, you can get it very close by ear.

I had one of my trucks timed at a very large, popular diesel shop here and they set it with a meter but to the old factory specs and it was a pig. After spending 95 bucks, I had to take it home and bump it up myself, to get it where it felt and sounded good.
One of our members in Vegas has a meter and just recently dialed both of my trucks in, one was 2 degrees off and the other was 1. I would have been comfortable with them, even if I didnt have them checked.

I guess the moral to all this rambling is, if you feel confident enough, time it by ear. If you have any doubts, take it to a shop. Everyone around here has their own opinions, some good, some bad but dont let it get the best of you.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Did that history help you get a better perspective of the truck riotwarrior.also what about the tach.and can I drill out the hole in the manifold on the truck and start to get all the shaving out for a pyrometer since it's no turboed

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pyro if no turbo drill/tap be done!

Sounds like that truck had a normal trucks work life not overly hard towing heavy all the time.

In all honesty, sounds like time for a set of good injectors and a rebuilt IP, the mileage and sitting and so forth I would think it would help.

However a caveat before $$pending on IP and injectors, do a compression test on it and determine the relative condition of the engine prior to large $$$$ investment.

If it checks out good, then perhaps as said a fresh IP and injectors will sharpen up the running of your truck.

Hope that offers insight. I'm not sure it's what you wanted, but...well, it's what I got for ya. Old IP and injectors are well...old and in unknown condition.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Ok ya that help an I forgot I hauled cattle and tractors and hay most it's life.i just remembered that cause my dad hauled cattle with our other idi along with the origanal owner haulin in this.they used to haul cattle tougher

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
And I don't know if this might cause it but gas got dumped in to the diesel tanks at the station a few weeks ago and they had to pump it out and put diesel.but it still maybe the ip.as far as I know they got all the gas out at the station but they may not have.and that's the fuel I put in the truck that was supposibly gas free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac