Got yet another one

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't that the engine that some mercury cougar/T-birds used in the mid 80s? Saw one on kijiji a while ago.

Think I'll pass on a diesel with a rubber band on it though. Chain or gears only and hope to god for an iron head. All the more reason I want to find out more about the 300D/300TD.
I thought that the Lincoln Mark VII was the only Ford that got the BMW turbo diesel...IIRC that was only for a year or two in the mid '80's. But, maybe you could get a T-bird/Cougar diesel in Canada?

And, FWIW, the VW's aluminum head and timing belt are why I opted for an M-B instead of a VW when I was first looking for a commuter car in '02. Any M-B built during or before the 1985 model year (except the '84/'85 190D) will have an iron head. They'll run forever if you treat them right...on both of my prior M-B's, the front suspensions wore out long before the drivetrain had any problems ;Sweet On the second car, the front suspension was bad enough that it would chew a new tire down to the metal band in less than 10K miles :shocked: so, when the tranny lost Reverse and a friend offered $700 for the engine, I couldn't say no...and, that engine's now in its 3rd car :D

At the risk of self-promotion, take a look at the two threads that are stickied on the top of the Mercedes forum on this site. Might help to give you an idea of what's out there and what you may be looking for.

Hope that helps some ;Sweet I admit that I'm ******* after a new TDI -Drool but I love the M-B diesels...I would recommend one to ANYONE who's mechanically inclined and on a tight budget and/or wants cheap reliable transportation. If you want a car that's perfect in every way, an M-B can nickel-and-dime you to death, but for basic reliable transportation that you can repair yourself, they can't be beat IMHO ;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could very well have been a lincoln that I saw, can't quite remember. And yes, I did look through those threads of yours - great write up.

Don't know if I'll ever have the time, but I'm actually thinking of replacing the 2.3TD in the ranger with an MB. More power and no more aluminum heads or rubber bands. As I found out, the mitsubishi diesel seems to just expire after a while and most of them get a crack in the head inside on of the prechambers (knock on wood for now). Now that we have a CNC machine, an adaptor plate wouldn't be a problem to make. I suspect a 120 Hp diesel in a ford ranger would move pretty well.

I was even half tempted to try and build one up for my F150 a while back but I have no idea what you can really get out of them.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDon't know if I'll ever have the time, but I'm actually thinking of replacing the 2.3TD in the ranger with an MB. More power and no more aluminum heads or rubber bands. As I found out, the mitsubishi diesel seems to just expire after a while and most of them get a crack in the head inside on of the prechambers (knock on wood for now). Now that we have a CNC machine, an adaptor plate wouldn't be a problem to make. I suspect a 120 Hp diesel in a ford ranger would move pretty well.

I was even half tempted to try and build one up for my F150 a while back but I have no idea what you can really get out of them.
Real performance out of an M-B diesel hasn't really been explored in the U.S., I think. They're IDI's just like our trucks, meaning that you're still limited by how much boost you can stuff into the engine...IIRC 15 psi's about as good as you're going to reliably get. An intercooler would certainly help.

There are some people in Finland taking aluminum-head OM603's and BOMBing them and getting quite a bit of power out of them. I'm not quite sure what they did, and I don't know how much of that would work won a 617, not to mention how easy (or not) it would be to find the parts/get the same work done in the U.S.

I tend to think that a 617 would do well in a compact pickup...I've always wanted to see how one would behave with a 5 speed in a 2 wheel drive Ranger or Toyota or whatnot. I wanted to put a 616 in a Toyota pickup a few years ago, but didn't have the $$ or resources, and doubt I could have gotten it registered in CA in any event... :( FWIW, someone swapped a turbo 617 into a Ranger a few years ago; it was up on Fleabay a while back...so it's certainly doable ;Sweet

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
The audi came with the timing tool and cam lock. The p.o. had just put new belts in it, new cv axles, and new tires. Then his wife bought a mk5 tdi jetta and he started driving her 240d, quit driving the audi and then lost the key. I picked it up for 450 and drove it home. Took me about an hour to remove enough tumblers to turn the ignition, cycled gps and she fired and ran like a top.

I dont mind the timing belt. Its cheap enough to drive and play with awhile and then when it goes, it goes. 40 mpg means I dont have to drive it long to offset its cost in fuel saving alone. Its not the pearl but it will do when I dont need 23 feet of 4x4 to move stuff.

The sd, sadly is no more. I sold it too some friends of michelle's so that it would see an easier life as a commuter rather than a tool/part hauler. they adored the car as much as me and even waxed the beast. It was t boned on thanksgiving and the insurance totalled it. The people who bought it gave it back to me to use what parts I could. Very sad. Doors still opened, windows even worked. passenger side was a mess of torn sheet metal, and the floor pan was bent (frame damage with a unibody). I pulled the engine and trans to put in michelles 300d, that motor is gutless with no turbo and getting tired.

As for souping up a turbo diesel benz, I know a guy locally that intercooled his and tweaked the turbo. It was a very quick diesel, even with a very worn engine.

Im going to clean the audi up a bit, and likely replace the interior with one from u pull it. I like it so far. Hoping to turbo and quattro the thing and really have some fun (I really cant leave anything well enough alone.)

punk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cetanefreak (going back to towcats post) has a 524 TD, claims some freaks over in Finland with 524's are at 400 rwhp... :D

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Didn't say that no one had done it at all...I just said that no one (to my knowledge) had done it in the U.S. That car's in Finland, and there are other videos floating around the Internet of a couple of 201 chassis cars with highly modified OM606's swapped in :shocked: -Drool :D

Clumsy me, I guess the search is still on.

I really like your big write up on the Mercedes on the other forum. I've often thought about getting a Wagon for the wife. We'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online