Got the new camper hooked up... First pull!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary, don't show that to your employer. It looks far superior to what passes for an office at Tablers Station. I bet they even have a piece of bar stock and a hasp that could be bolted through the walls across the door. LOL

Nice rig. Yes, use 4 Lo. ;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ZF S5-47 has a lower reverse as well;

The ZF S5-42 thats in our trucks has a reverse ratio of 3.79 while the
ZF S5-47 has a reverse ratio of 4.66

and the gas version of either is 5.24

Can gasser gears be swapped into a diesel ZF-5 case for that lower reverse gear?

And us poor souls with the E4OD have the lovely and very usable reverse ratio of 2.18 cookoo Yeah right, where does one find a divorced NP205, or what does it take to make a 2wd E4OD to accept a bolt-on transfer case?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A popular deal in the serious off-road world is to use an NP203 reduction box mated to the front of an NP205 to give double low range. I don't see why a guy couldn't make the 203 box a stand alone with a fixed yoke on the rear. You wouldn't be able to split with it, but it would have a use when maneuvering or traveling to less improved camping areas. And from what I understand, Ford even used a divorced 203 in the early 70s. That would make it that much easier.
Travis..

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can gasser gears be swapped into a diesel ZF-5 case for that lower reverse gear?

And us poor souls with the E4OD have the lovely and very usable reverse ratio of 2.18 cookoo Yeah right, where does one find a divorced NP205, or what does it take to make a 2wd E4OD to accept a bolt-on transfer case?

Dude if I ever get my hands on the idiot that forced the ford engineers to put that stupid ratio in.......

E4OD has wider 1st and 2nd gear ratios compared to the C6, but *** did they put a higher ratio for reverse when it was already too high in the C6????? Just be glad you have 4.10s in there, because I have maxed mine out in high range reverse a couple of times. Forward never, but be careful in reverse.

Other than a devorced transfer case or low range gear splitter, you are gonna have to do a complete teardown of the E4OD to convert it to a 4wd to accept a transfer case. The rear output shaft has to change, and thats like the 2nd or 3rd last part to come out (transmission comes apart from the front...). Probably better off to get a different transmission, build it up, and then swap it in as time and funds permit.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doug, not your imagination, the reverse gear ration of these things is borderline useless.

David, then I guess I'll keep watching the intawebs for a cheap (likely blown) 4x4 E4OD with a transfer case, and get medieval with it... or try a divorced NP203 like Travis suggested.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Are you sure that was your clutch making the smoke, or was it your dual mass flywheel giving up the ghost?

I don't have a DMF, so it would have to be clutch disk. When I swapped trannys, I installed the SMF.

Once you move a trailer in 4 low, you'll never go back.

If anything reverse should match the 1st gear ratio, but that's just my opinion.

I will definitely use 4lo next time and from then on!

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
how heavy is that and how does she tow?? the WD hitch is a marvelous invention for sure...

Right now, it's at just above 7,000lbs. The GTW is 10,000. She tows like a dream!

That's one real nice camper! But methinks Gary needs to do something about his rear springs cause now truck looks "slightly" overloaded ;)

Kitty mentioned to me that the spot where the pic was taken, had a dip between the camper and truck. When I set the WD system up, I ended up getting the front to un-hitched height and the rear was squatting only 1.25"

Gary, don't show that to your employer. It looks far superior to what passes for an office at Tablers Station. I bet they even have a piece of bar stock and a hasp that could be bolted through the walls across the door. LOL

Nice rig. Yes, use 4 Lo. ;Sweet

Trust me Mel, that dinky little trailer does NOT pass for an office! It does, however, pass for a pile of junk! AND..... Anyone that drills a hole through this rig, will be drawn and quartered!

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
What gets me is the gas burner version of the zf has a lower reverse gear than the diesel version cookoo It nuts.

Makes perfect sense, if you think about it a little. Gas engines do not develop much power or torque at low speeds, so would need to have a higher numeric ratio in reverse. Diesels have substantial grunt even at low rpms, so the trans makers figure they can handle more gear and not dawdle in reverse.

Now does it make sense?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, not really, not from a practical standpoint at least - reverse is not a speed gear, it's essentially just for moving stuff around, at which point you really want as deeper reduction as you can get. Theoretically tho, you're right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online

No members online now.