Got new mirrors!

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up a set of used mirrors for $30. The glass has some scratches and there is a bit of rust, but overall its quite tolerable in my opinion. The seller said they came off an "older model pickup," not sure what though, but I figured I can most likely make them work on my truck.

Now, here is the question... does anybody have any suggestions for covering up the factory mirror holes?

What I'm thinking of doing is making a plate with two threaded "studs" welded on it to attach the mirror brackets, and then screw the plate onto the door using the original holes/screws. I would only be using the bottom bracket on the lower part of arm of course.
At the top of the door, I'd just mark and drill the two holes and bolt it up like normal.
To finish, I'll be cleaning them up good, painting it all semi-gloss black and adding some decent convex mirrors.

Any tips, suggestions, ideas and what not for this little project are of course welcome!

Pics momentarily if I can get it to cooperate...

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And because we all need to see a lil' truck ****, even if its a bit trashy and not very special... LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

Hope it works...

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so what I'm thinking is I'll cut out a 1/8" steel plate that will fit inside the plastic plate that goes between the door and the OE mirror. That way it covers up the holes, and everything should fit fine. I'd drill four holes in the plate; two for the original screws, and two to weld in threaded studs to attach the lower mirror bracket (most likely cut bolts of the correct size) At the top, I'll just drill 2 holes in the door, maybe have another plate on the inner side of the door, and perhaps a thin piece of rubber between the mirror bracket and door on the outside.

Here is a pic with a cardboard mock-up for the lower plate. Looks a little funny, but I think its doable.

The entire assembly sticks out about 7" from the lower attachment point when the arm is at a 90* angle - less than the OE mirrors!

*edit* I hope the pic works. Two of the previous ones worked for me when I first posted them... :dunno

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those are nice and big i like them, get a pic of you rolling coal in them haha :p

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! They are 6x11" heads. But its completely flat glass and so I neeeeddd some sort of decent convex on the p-side for sure as a minimum! Found a combination head that has a 4x6" convex built into it that'd probably look a lot cleaner than mounting a 5-6" round convex underneath the flat mirror. Its # 210 on this page http://www.sureplus.com/products/other.htm

I haven't even touched my fuel pump yet... I want to get a pyro first, and if I'm going to get gauges I kinda want to get the ISSPRO 3 gauge pillar pod with trans temp, pyro and boost (for when I actually get a turbo). Of course that costs a good chunk of $$$ I don't have yet, and blah blah blah. lol

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm ya the convex mirrors are always nice, I have them on my truck and car they sure are handy for baking into tight parking spaces

haha yea I was just kiddn around about the rollin coal thing:p.

Im in the same boat as you my plans are bigger than my wallet allows! lol

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm probably just going to go with 6" round convex mirrors.. $10/piece at Princess Auto. I have the little 2" round swivelling stick-on convex mirrors on my Ranger and the Sport mirrors and even they make a good difference.
Oh I hear ya... so much to do but no money to fund it :frustrate Some day... once I'm done with all my edumucation and making a decent wage.

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I finished up the mirrors just on time for a week long trip I made visiting family and stopping in at the fall IDI rally in Michigan. They work well, although I still need another convex mirror since the place I bought it from only had one left in stock when I got there. I'm quite happy with how they turned out. I have found they do make more wind noise when the windows are opened and do redirect the air flow. Its not too bad though.
hopefully the pics work this time...

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics don't work.

yea, when I click on them they come up... but I don't know whats up with them. Some of the others worked fine and I don't think I did anything differently... lets try this again...

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a pain in the rear...
Ok, Darrin Tosh has just posted some pics from the fall rally in his thread. Look for the "7th annual fall rally" thread and scroll through and there are a couple pics where you can sort of see the mirrors. They got her advanced from 2* :eek: