got my factory turbo on, and all i can say is wow!!!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I dont see how you are getting 8 psi with no load on the engine.

If i can borrow my girlfriends camera i will show you, when i floor it in neutral it will hit 8psi at 2700rpm and the turbo is singing like mad

12vctd

Reaction score
Thats strange, I dont know if the boost gauge is tapped into the wrong port, but I have never seen a diesel build boost( well more than maybe 1-3psi) without a load just reving the truck, especially 8psi.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen diesls make over eight just reving but they were VGTs. I'm not saying your lying I'm just woundering how its doing that unless its got a modifyd turbine or compressor wheel.

One thing thats helping it spool is the arm you have off on the side of the pump doesn't retard the timming as you accelerate it advances the timming as the throtle is pushed down at low rpms where transfer pump presure is low. And I've heard of gassers running super retarded timming on the starting line to spool their turbos but then again it wont make a big diffrence and is out of the loop at 2700rpm.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I've seen diesls make over eight just reving but they were VGTs. I'm not saying your lying I'm just woundering how its doing that unless its got a modifyd turbine or compressor wheel.

One thing thats helping it spool is the arm you have off on the side of the pump doesn't retard the timming as you accelerate it advances the timming as the throtle is pushed down at low rpms where transfer pump presure is low. And I've heard of gassers running super retarded timming on the starting line to spool their turbos but then again it wont make a big diffrence and is out of the loop at 2700rpm.

The turbo seems to spool like mad, it just smacks a wall at 11 psi, if i just rev it part throttle just enough pedal to bring the rpm up it on builds like 1-3 psi but if i put my foot on the floor then thats when it builds around 8psi around 3000 rpm if i remeber right

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
ok so today i wired the wastegated shut along with the actuator holding it shut, so now it shouldnt move, then i turned it up around 1.5-2 flats it has some smoke now nothing crazy tho makes 13psi now under WOT boost comes on alot faster now and the truck has a hole lot more power now, i popped the clutch at 1900RPm today and floored it and it turned completley around in the road with me and scared the **** out of me and I-H FREAK:eek: at 2000 rpm in 4th gear floored i have around 5-7 Psi of boost i hit 10 by 2500 and 13 at around 3000 now, why did i only gain 2 psi? but still the truck is
ALOT faster!

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can thank your wounderfull 2.25 outlet and smashed down pipe for not being able to get more than 13 psi. The reason you got more power is probly because you didn't have enough fule for the boost you were running befor.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
You can thank your wounderfull 2.25 outlet and smashed down pipe for not being able to get more than 13 psi. The reason you got more power is probly because you didn't have enough fule for the boost you were running befor.

Yea i wish i had the better outlet and downpipe but i aint got no money so i guess i will make a better downpipe sometime and just live with the stupid outlet, it boost hard to 10 psi but after that it slowly creeps to 13 and just stops moving

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think these turbos are out of their eficentcy when they are boosted above 12psi any way but not sure about that. And it would take a lot of money to get the 3" outlet either have to find a used kit/truck with it or make some one an offer they can't refuse for the one on their truck. but a DP should help.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Anyone who hates the slip fit desighn and would rather have the factory outlet and the Vband i will trade the housing and my downpipe for a 3 inch slip fit housing and downpipeLOL im sure no one wants to trade tho

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Anyone who hates the slip fit desighn and would rather have the factory outlet and the Vband i will trade the housing and my downpipe for a 3 inch slip fit housing and downpipeLOL im sure no one wants to trade tho

I have the slip coupler on my 088 and I would recommend NOT going that route. I'm pretty sure I will scrap the whole truck before I ever attempt seperating that worthless pos -cuss *%*(#$*#*@#U*)@#*@&@*(#&%**# -cuss setup again :rotflmao

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I have the slip coupler on my 088 and I would recommend NOT going that route. I'm pretty sure I will scrap the whole truck before I ever attempt seperating that worthless pos -cuss *%*(#$*#*@#U*)@#*@&@*(#&%**# -cuss setup again :rotflmao

:rotflmao

The up pipes on the factory turbo like mine has a slip couple in it too, i didnt mess with it cause i didnt want a leak, but i wouldnt care too have the slip fit downpipe im sure i could get it not too leak, i just want a faster spooling turbo and more boost, but honestly i dont need it, the truck has too much power now, i pull out from a road and floor it and turn my 6000 pound truck sideways in the road:eek:

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
My engine is an 83 low compression engine, with new headgskets, coppercoated intake and exhuast gaskets, wonder what kind of boost i can get away with?

83 hae lowere cuomprestion thhan the odhters?s

SWs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online

No members online now.