Got home for Thanksgiving and the Brown Truck doesn't seem right now.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Made the 2.5hr drive back to my parents for thanksgiving and I noticed an odd droning coming from the motor. Sounded kinda like maybe one of the intake valves has a more distinct close than the others when listening to the intake tube. I'm almost wondering if one of my lifters collapsed while on the interstate and it bent a pushrod. I honestly don't know. I noticed on a drive today it was a bit down on power but it doesn't have a full out missfire like I've noticed in the past when I've bent pushrods. I changed the fuel filter thinking maybe it wasn't allowing enough fuel to get to the IP causing it to retard timing or something but it didn't really help any. Any other ideas other than pulling the valve covers and checking it out? Like I said it idles good other than the droning vibration.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Couldn't find anything that looked out of the ordinary so I put it back together. I'm guessing maybe its a headgasket starting to fail because the droning vibration comes and goes and that just seems odd for a mechanical failure. I guess I'll drive it some more until it gets worse and easier to identify.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Sure it isnt just one of those long trip in possibly different atmospheric conditions that causes you to over analyze every little sound that's always been there and start imagining the worse ( i.e. motorcycle syndrome )?
Considering some of the past issues it would be thoroughly understandable.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Lol thats what I've been wondering. I know how these engines can trick the brain. But like you said I've had enough problems my over-analyzing is kinda warranted. lol Im guessing even if I'm actually hearing/feeling something new its probably not something serious.

gandalf

Reaction score
Sure it isnt just one of those long trip in possibly different atmospheric conditions that causes you to over analyze every little sound that's always been there and start imagining the worse ( i.e. motorcycle syndrome )?
Considering some of the past issues it would be thoroughly understandable.

I'm not going to even hazard a guess as to what might be wrong. I have a better than average chance of being wrong if I do.

I think Robert might be very right, though. There is a very good chance that it is either Automotive Hypochondria or Automotive Paranoia. I honestly believe that these conditions DO exist and that many of us are afflicted with them.:rolleyes:

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
If you see nothing out of place then I would guess over caring parent. Or just really wanting to play with the truck LOL

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Im thinking that the lack of power all of a sudden is making me over analyze every small thing and this vibration is something I've not noticed before. I'm not sure where to look for the reason for the loss of power, I think maybe the IP is the place to start.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
That was the first thing I did actually and it was over fueling the IP at 12psi, so I turned it down after installing a new fuel filter.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I did drive it the 2.5hrs back to Kearney today and it didn't blow up on me but I could definitely tell its down on power. It barely maintained 75mph with the pedal on the floor. Other than being down on power I don't think I'm too worried about it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Dont forget the stations should all be fully loaded with winter fuel in your area by now, and that means less power in the pedal.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hello Sean... Sounds like your starving the engine for fuel. Are you running number 2 diesel without any cocktails or are you adding some bio or other fuels to the diesel. Check the hoses on the supply side and see if any got kinked somehow.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Gary, that's exactly what it feels like. There just isn't as much fuel in the IP as there used to be. I can't remember the last time I've had to push the pedal to the floor to get the acceleration out of it that I wanted.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
How's the EGT's looking? With my worn out 200k mile pump I could barely hit 900 degrees, and it took a lot of right foot effort to get it to move... Rebuilt pump solved it for me. More fuel = Higher EGT's

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What electric lift pump are you using. Is it actually pumping fuel. It may have quit working. these injection pumps have a small rotor vane pump that draws the fuel into them but its not designed to run very well without a lift pump. The pump needs lots of pressureized fuel going into it to lube it and cool it. A couple of members just posted that they forgot to run on their electric lift pumps and were able to drive but not like they had enought fuel to go fast either... Maybe one of them said they were on the freeway doing 70 and it was ok.....???
Could the filter on the electric be plugging up and allowing some fuel to pass. This can happen and show plenty of pressure but not enough volume to hold pressure after you get running down the road too. A fuel restriction will cause this kind of engine operation.