Good pulling point on the front end?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those T/J/Grab hooks are for tie down to deck and or winching when on flat easy ground only.

I'd suggest getting a proper FRAME mounted hook with some big ass strong hardware.

Try and get the new recovery EYE's that have no opening, much stronger than an open hook.

If you do have an open hook, have the opening face DOWN, in case of failure it forces the strap/chain to the ground lessening the chance of injury. Having open end up can shoot hook up in air and increase potential to hurt people.

Good luck, with your choice.

OH BTW those who hook onto I beams and spring shackles...ya...not kewl you will in all likely hood cause damage eventually.

If a person has no propper recovery hook. I have them connect gear how they choose, and then tug them out after first warning that I'm no responsible if their **** breaks! I don't play well that way...

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Well if you want go buy some grade 80 hooks that A&W calls recovery hooks , but your read this first,
http://www.boronextrication.com/2012/07/23/what-do-you-know-about-chains-and-hooks/

I have used those hooks hundreds of times and never had a failure. I drove tow trucks for years ,owned my own for ten. I was on 2 police rotations, AAA, and as well as private business and repossessions. I pulled vehicles out of **** most tow operators wouldn't know were to start. If you really want to make it easy get a long strap wrap it thru the cab in front of the seats if pulling from the rear, in back of the seats if pulling from the front, close doors to first safety latch and pull until your content. When this method was first introduced we thought the guy was crazy .The inventor of this method was don cruse of wreckmasters , hence the strap hell sells is called a cruse loop. It started as a way to pull unibody cars, and maybee still marked for that , but it has been adapted to all types of recoveries. There is a site somewhere people post pictures of recoveries with the cruze loop method if you want to search for it.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys, didnt really expect this many responses.
I have a ton of chain in my boxes, so I guess if I ever need to I will just hook and wrap the frame.
I dont go offroading in any of our vehicles it just sometimes you go down that occasional dirt road and
it dosent seem too bad and you start spinning lol. The new van is the worse one of our three vehicles lol, I swear that thing
will spin out on pine needles on the road, it needs some better tires for sure lol.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you want go buy some grade 80 hooks that A&W calls recovery hooks , but your read this first,
http://www.boronextrication.com/2012/07/23/what-do-you-know-about-chains-and-hooks/

I have used those hooks hundreds of times and never had a failure. I drove tow trucks for years ,owned my own for ten. I was on 2 police rotations, AAA, and as well as private business and repossessions. I pulled vehicles out of **** most tow operators wouldn't know were to start. If you really want to make it easy get a long strap wrap it thru the cab in front of the seats if pulling from the rear, in back of the seats if pulling from the front, close doors to first safety latch and pull until your content. When this method was first introduced we thought the guy was crazy .The inventor of this method was don cruse of wreckmasters , hence the strap hell sells is called a cruse loop. It started as a way to pull unibody cars, and maybee still marked for that , but it has been adapted to all types of recoveries. There is a site somewhere people post pictures of recoveries with the cruze loop method if you want to search for it.

Awesome idea.... Hope I never have to try it!