Good news and bad news (smoke)

motoboy549

Reaction score
I got the title to my truck finally i was about to do summin dramatic so yay on that one. :thumbsup:

OK now heres what im wondering i hav a random miss not all the time not under any certain conditions literally random... i done and injector test and no dice... i can tell ya that wen it goes to missin the fuel mileage goes to like ten mpg and it smokes a dark blue/gray at idle and wen i get up ova 1800 or so... Any ideas?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When you say done injector test do you mean took them out and had them pop tested, or cracked them at the nut for an idle miss?

motoboy549

Reaction score
i cracked them at the nut and replaced the one that didnt make a diff with a new one... seemed to help prolly in my head but seemed to do summin... neway like i said theres no distinct miss... the injector i replaced was the pass side front cylinder which is cylinder one to my knowlege unless im wrong bout it

motoboy549

Reaction score
I found this... true... false... idk?

Blue or blue/white smoke:
Caused by insufficient fuel or oil consumption. Normal when engine is cold or idling for extended periods.
Excessive smoke could be caused by air in the fuel, contaminated fuel, loose or plugged injectors, thermostat stuck open, oil consumption, plugged crankcase depression regulator valve, retarded injection pump timing, or defective injection pump.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OK now heres what im wondering i hav a random miss not all the time not under any certain conditions literally random... i done and injector test and no dice... i can tell ya that wen it goes to missin the fuel mileage goes to like ten mpg and it smokes a dark blue/gray at idle and wen i get up ova 1800 or so... Any ideas?
you have a bad injection pump.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Providing you don't have some injectors that are intermittantly sticking open , I'm inclined to agree with a bum IP. Might want to get the injectors pop tested first just to make sure, but chances are both pump and injectors are getting ready to fold if you had one injector go out. How many miles on IP and injectors?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you have over 100,000 miles on the injection pump or injectors then its time for new ones. First read up on who to buy from and who not to buy from in the Hall of Shame forum. No need to buy #hit from some fool thats going to cheat you. There is plenty of great rebuilders known here to do a great job of rebuilding and selling very good stuff. Buy a set of BB code injectors. They are better than the "turbo G code injectors. I ran several sets of the G injectors and didn't like them. I bought a set of BB from typ4 (Russ) and they are great... Like blue steel.... A cat couldn't scratchem...:eek::D Rebuilt injectors are almost as expensive as new so buy a new set.. As posted above... It looks like you have an injection pump thats probably going bad...

1993 f-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck used to do this when i got off the hiway after about 20 miles. sounded like it was hittin only about half the cylinders half the time. ever hear one of these puppies runnin on 4 cylinders?? It ain't pretty i can tell you that much. got crap for fuel milage and had to poor woter on it if i shut it off and had to start it again in about 20 min. just a temporary band aid tilll it finally dies. luckily for me it was in my driveway after i bought my donor engine. :)

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My injection pump smokes like this as well. The only difference is that it leaks about as much fuel as it burns. In the last couple of days is has gotten so bad that it barely gets enough fuel to even stay running.

Thankfully my rebuild from Mel should be here tomorrow or Saturday.

motoboy549

Reaction score
how much can u pick up a used injection pump for? also ive been doin a little research and come to find that there are two diff styles how do i no which that i have

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726