Good deal??

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am buying this in a few weeks he wants 4500 CDN for it and I was wondering if the asking was decent or i should haggle a little bit? It is a 1986 F-250 SCLB 6.9/auto/4x4 with 330km/205mi on the ticker. It has a current safety and he replaced the belts on the engine and did the trailer wiring and put in a trailer brake.

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds a bit high for the years but the miles are good. The C6 is a deal breaker for many. Truck looks good but whats the inside and under the hood look like. No harm offering less.

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have an inside pic, its a little dirty but it should clean up good. Im going to offer 3500 and see where it goes. I thought the c6 was the better tranny, i know it doesn't have overdrive but that doesn't bother me. It is a lariat so it has power windows and locks and a/c. What else to the older lariat truck have?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Holy helluva price, Batman. I should take my trucks up to Canada to sell them from now on. LOL Down here, I'm struggling to get $2000 for my '85 SLCB 4x4. :(

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this looks like a decent truck? What are the problems with the c6? What about problems with the 86 6.9? What should i be looking for when i look under the hood? What about when it first fires up? Sorry for all the questions but i don't want to bake a bad purchase.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Show up early in the morning, pop the hood and feel the block. Make sure it isn't warm. Then see how she starts.

Lock in the front hubs and see if it makes any clunking noises while driving.
Then lock in the transfer case and check for noises.

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok that's good to know..manual hubs and transfer cases don't go bad often so there shouldn't be any problems there.
What about the motor? I have driven a 7.3 idi before but i have never owned/bought one

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
See how it starts, idles, drives, look for smoke, check blowby, smell the oil, smell the exhaust, look at the coolant, listen for any abnormal noises.
See if the injector pump looks new/rebuilt, injectors, return lines.

Pull the air cleaner and look down in the intake.

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that one already, but i like the 80-86 body style better and this one is saftyed, but that one is my second chioce if this deal falls through.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...pricey...for those prices you best be thinking they are PS not IDI trucks wow.

There is a CC similar to the one Gavin posted for around 2600. Those prices for the trucks are way out of line.

That bull nose you like is more like a 22-2500 truck. and the cc should be 27-3200 here in Canada.

I've got a single cab locally needs front end work..800 with reman engine..

The price out there is absolutely crazy IMHO...

Offer him 2400 and have it in hand. It's too old, to be worth more and not in good enough condition to be worth asking price.

I can see why some of the US brothers want to bring up trucks to Canada and sell em if they sell for those prices LOL

Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online