GOOD DEAL?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it drives well and isn't a California emissions car (unlikely in NC but not unheard of) and everything looks okay mechanically, $1100 is a steal! How many miles are on the odometer, and does it work? Any idea how up-to-date the PO is/was on maintenance? How's the blow-by?

Even if it isn't perfect mechanically, $1100 is fair...1985 is unique in that it has a 2.88 rear end instead of the 3.07 rear used on earlier cars; this'll help with highway fuel economy without sacrificing too much in terms of acceleration. Keep in mind that, if the front suspension's worn, that could take a good chunk of change to renew...but, if it's in great shape otherwise, it might be worth it even still..

Any pics?

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1100 for an '85 in good condition is a steal. ( I think anyhow) Even if the front end needs a few parts it aint bad.
Front suspension/steering parts are really not that expensive if you know where to look. I bought complete tie rod assemblies for $38 each. Forget autozone for Benz parts. they wanted $98 plus freight for upper ball joint and a 14 day wait. Got them elsewhere for $43 next day. Gotta know where to get the parts.

Like the Warden said. Any service records?

i love my 300D. I drive it 150 miles a day commuting. I can't think of very many other cars that run and ride that good. I roll unto the 4 lane at the end of my driveway for my commute to work, set the cruise at 75 and just humm along.

If it runs good, and drives good, without any major mechanical defects I'd say go for it. But drive it first. Most of the MBs of that vintage that I see selling in that price range have transmission problems. Trust me...THAT gets expensive!

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I've had my eye on this one for some time, he doesn't drive it much now, he walks to work.... but he does take care of his stuff... I'll try to get pictures but it more or less will be mine soon......

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At that mileage, seats being a bit worn isn't unusual....the real question there is whether you're comfortable with it or not?

If the front suspension seems to be in good shape and the drivetrain's happy, I actually wouldn't be terribly worried about 358K...there's no way the suspension parts are original unless it's worn to hell. If maintenance has been kept up on the engine and the tranny, the engine especially will live indefinitely...so, if she seems to be running properly, and if the rest of the car's either in decent shape or are issues you can handle or are willing to live with, go for it!

FWIW the biggest problem spots at this point are the front suspension and the climate control...if the a/c's dead and especially if the climate control unit's shot, that could get expensive, and a front end rebuild WILL get expensive...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online