Good 2WD Front Tires

1983idi

Reaction score
I am looking for any known tires that are good on the front for 2WD's I have 265/75 wranglers on there right now and they like to pull all over the road especially on older highways with any cracks or lines. I have brand new 235/85 BFG Commercial T/A's on the back and have thought of putting them on the front to see if there is any steering improvement. The tires are worn very well for being a TTB front end so I don't think it's an alignment issue causing the pull

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well.... I would have the alignment checked and look for anything that may be worn.
If all that checks out, I would look into a steering stabilizer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I would try to run the skinnier ones up front. Stabilizer not a bad idea either.

1983idi

Reaction score
Well went to put the BFG's up front and the tread plies are seperated on half the tire so there goes 150 dollar of tire with under 10,000 miles on it. Why is everything absolute GARBAGE now days. What happened to the days when stuff was made well. I have 30 year old tires on my lowboy axle trailer that are dry rotted to hell and have put 5 times more miles on those than these BFG pieces of crap and they just keep on rolling and never let me down.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’d look into the Firestone Transforce H/T tires. I run the A/T on my 4x4 Excursion and they are a good tire.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have NOT run Firestones on my trucks since the Firestone 500 scandal. I will never buy Firestones for any truck I own.

Reaction score
I've been running Cooper Discoverer tires on mine for a while. Pick your tread, but I've had no issues other than shorter life due to lack of rotation/alignment on my end (ended up getting only about 40K miles on my first set).

Discount always has them pretty cheap, although i got the last set from Big O on a 'Buy 3, Get 1 Free' deal.

Mike

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone else vouch for the Firestones? They looked like they have good reviews online

Well, Between my Dad and I, we've had 5 sets of Transforce A/T's on 4 different trucks. I've had 2 sets on my Excursion, because I wore one set out with ~70,000+ miles. Dad liked how well mine performed, he put a set on his 97 F-250 LD, 12 F-150 Supercrew, and on his 16 F-150 Supercrew at ~2500 miles to replace the crap factory tires.

@FORDF250HDXLT bought a set on my recommendation, and commented in another thread recently ho happy he was with them......

Personally, Dad and I will continue to buy the Transforce A/T tires as long as Firestone makes them.......

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll see in a few years how well they continue to do, but so far I'm happy with the Michelin XPS Traction, a commercial tire.
They come in 235-85-R16, and after finding that my landlord uses them on his trucks, I searched craigslist and found a set.
Unfortunately, they were over 20 years old, but still not dry-rotted at all. Ran them for over a year until I had money for a new set... and the old set still holds air, with no delamination or cracking.
Those are /good/ tires!
They are also retreadable, which might explain the extra quality materials in the tire.

The new set, I've had for about a year(and 7-10K), and while the tread height isn't as much as it was new, there's still plenty, and they handle nicely. No uneven wear(despite the Dana 50 TTB setup), no rotations done in this time.

Pretty happy so far, and as long as the tread holds up, I'll buy them again.

Also, oddly enough, they are /quiet/. I've run some OpenCountry(?) tires, which you could easily hear as a 'tire noise' when going down the road. These(old and new sets) are quiet. I don't hear any 'noise' from the tires, aside from rocks embedded in the tread 'ticking' until they fall out.