Going from ac to non ac

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I switch the entire heater assembly? I know the heater core on the ac truck is under the dash, I like the idea of it being under the hood better. I live in ct and it rarely gets hot enough to even want ac, the one truck I had with working ac, I never used it

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume this is the 86? The best way is to get a heater duct assembly from a later model truck. You are correct, the early trucks had a completely different system in the dash and under the hood depending on if you had A/C or not, and it's a real job to go from one to another. And believe me, you do not want the system with the heater core under the hood. Instead of a 30 minute job changing the heater core on a A/C equipped truck, it turns into a several hour job with a non/AC truck with the core under the hood.

What they did in the later trucks was leave the heater core behind the glove box, even on the non-A/C trucks. If you got a non-A/C system from a later truck it will bolt right in place and eliminate the big evap core protrusion you have now. I don't know when they changed it around, but I know a 89 has the changed non-A/C system under the hood.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
If you decide to ditch the stock AC setup let me know. I would be interested in the heater box.

I want to add factory air to my truck!

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The box is trashed, tried to take the cover off and the plastic shattered, so I ripped all the ac out and now I have a hole in the firewall and a no cover to put back on.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great ac was one of the reasons I bought mine. I could not imagine not having ac.driving on the fwy with the windows down sucks! Your deaf when you get where you were going. I say keep the ac.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never use it and with the windows down and vent windows closed it's still quite and nice. And this last summer it was only in the 90's for about a weak, it's usually mid 80's unless it's a heat wave. I think there are more days around here at 80 in the summer then there are at 90. The only thing I hate is parking in the sun with my vinyl seats haha. The ac never worked anyway in this truck.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
As somebody who has no working A/C in his vehicles and lives in the Southwest, I can't imagine NOT wanting to have it.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trust me, if I lived in a warmer part of the country I would want it, but what's the point of having ac if it doesn't stay hot enough haha. Sure it's nice on a hot days but I would rather go without then spend the several hundred to get it working, then only use it twice a year. To get it to work I would need the cover that broke, the compressor, the condenser, all the lines and then to charge it up

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Its in the 80s and your not using it? Heck once it hits high 50s I turn it on normally...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My AC is turned on nearly all the time except when I start my engine. Once running it on and working to dry up the air in the cab. If it cold I still have it on but I shift to the heat and blend the ac and heat to my liking. All ac cars use the ac to defrost the windshield. It blends the ac thru the heater ducts. Warm dry air will defrost the windows faster than warm moist air. Its a safety mandate on all cars.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am aware it uses ac to defrost windows but I don't actually use ac, and it never worked. Maybe that has something to do with why my windows stay fogged up so much even with defrosted on

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I modified a dent side heater when I deleted the ac from my pickup. Can't remember having ac in any vehical I've had. Most didn't have heat either until I moved to Denver. Didn't really need it in the southeast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online