Glow plug relay?

fyrfghter

Reaction score
1988 f250, 7.3, N/A, zf5.

I put a new glow plug controller on it about a year ago, new glow plugs, new harness, converted to manual glow plug button.

I have been having intermittent issues where the glow plugs won’t click on. If I tap the glow plug relay on top of the controller with a screwdriver it will kick on.

It has been getting worse as the weather gets colder. Has anyone had this before? Is it freezing? Could it be corrosion? Can the relay be removed from controller to either clean or replace it?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, the Stancor/WR option is common for the PSDs, and certainly an option for the old-style 6.9 setup, since the relay stands alone. But physical fitment on the 7.3 IDI controller might be a challenge. Option - check into the Western Plow 56131K plow relay. Specs similar to the Stancor, physically formatted more like the OEM or the GPR109, so probably a better fit for the 7.3 IDI controller. And cheaper than the Stancor.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White Rodgers is the way to go.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is my spare one that I keep in my truck just in case. But I have had zero problems since the install of the White Rodgers.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it, how does it attach to the current glow plug controller?

It fits on the existing controller; the shunt (Z shape thingy) has to be bent slightly to allow the new relay to be mounted differently. I know I posted a pic here somewhere...

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here it is...

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/glow-plug-question-need-help-asap.70256/#post-817305

I posted some service history for my GP relay in that link... I am now at 345,000 km and on the same Stancor! That is 7 years and 150,000 km (100,000 miles approximately) with no problems.

Service records:

Original GP relay died in Nov 2009 at 175,000 km
NAPA GP relay died in July 2010 at 191,000 km
Ford GP relay died in Dec 2010 at 198,000 km
Stancor relay installed and is still fine at 274,000 km
Update - Nov 2017. Still going on the Stancor, 345,000km

Last edited:

gfemling

Reaction score
So on the 7.3 style controller it appears from the pics the Stancor relay can be mounted but with slight mod to resistor ribbon but then really should wrestle with some sort of guard/ cover as the original cover appears not to fit and one of the terminals on the solenoid it directly linked to battery with no short protection!

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's life on the wild side :music:

You could fab up a cover easy enough... I rather risk it than use the underrated weld-itself-on NAPA one. I think the existing covers often get broken, melted or lost... sure there is more than one truck without the cover. You can buy terminal covers at any auto store.

fyrfghter

Reaction score
Mine has never had a cover since I’ve owned it. Maybe I’ll fit a cover to it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online