Glow plug relay question

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 1990 f250 7.3 idi non turbo. I bought the truck and the second owner said he had replaced it a couple months before I got it. Have the paper work to back it up. Sometimes when you turn the key on glow plugs stay on for 10 sec then come off but the relay doesn't click? But if you turn the key off then back on it will click. Maybe bad relay?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the glow plugs are on, the relay must be closing. Maybe you just don't hear it the first time.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
How many times does it crank after sitting overnight? Have you verified that all 8 glowplugs are getting the right amount of juice?

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many times does it crank after sitting overnight? Have you verified that all 8 glowplugs are getting the right amount of juice?

Haven't really had time to look into as I'm trying to figure out the knock it has upon start up

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
If your GP harness is damaged or corroded even a little it will effect how your GPs work.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your GP harness is damaged or corroded even a little it will effect how your GPs work.

I'll take a look at that if the little clips I guess is what you call them are broken can you get new ones for it?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Now my wait to start light won't come on.

Then you don't have to wait. :D

Seriously tho, watch your volt meter. Does it drop to about 8 volts when the the glow plugs are supposed to be glowing? The glow plugs draw a lot of power. You'll notice a substantial drop in voltage when the controller is activated.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then you don't have to wait. :D

Seriously tho, watch your volt meter. Does it drop to about 8 volts when the the glow plugs are supposed to be glowing? The glow plugs draw a lot of power. You'll notice a substantial drop in voltage when the controller is activated.

Nope barley moves

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Could be a bad relay. Check the ground wire on the controller, if it is broken or grounding poorly, that could cause you grief.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except there are no fuses on the glowplug circuit.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Except there are no fuses on the glowplug circuit.

Which one is the ground in the gp controller? If the ground isn't the problem can you put in the manual gp switch? I've been wanting to but don't know if you have to buy a special controller for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86