Glow plug questions

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the same relay that you have on the pass side for starting the engine.
Parts needed.
Momentary switch.
Starter relay.
Inline fuse holder, 15 amp fuse.
Wire from battery to switch.
Wire from switch to relay, S terminal.
Wire from relay on other terminal to ground. If the relay has only one terminal it is internally grounded.

Just don't hold the switch ON longer than 12-15 seconds or you'll burn up the wiring to the glow plugs, they pull 160 amps when first energized. That connector will melt if held on too long.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks oldbull was hoping someone would have a parts list.
So if I read that I can just take a starter solenoid like that's sitting on the inside of the fender wall and use that? I just happen to have one sitting in the garage Along with plenty of wires and a switch.
Or were you saying use the glowplug controller?
Thanks for the info:D

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/articles/glowplugbypass.htm This is what I followed when I did it. My controller is still there, and it has a relay on the top of it. The controller just decides when the relay is powered, with this mod you decide when the relay is powered. I've heard that the starter relay isn't nearly beefy enough to handle the current the glow plugs need, however mine has been working fine for quite a while now.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I'll see whatthe starter solenoid will do.

Anyways 6 of the 8 new plugs are in went to start it no wts light but still fired up alil rough stil seems like no gps. Is there a way to cross two points on the controller and send power like on the starter solenoid? Any other ideas why I still have no gps?

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 new plugs are in pulled off the old controller the top peice off the plastic bottom then bolted a known good starter solenoid top on wired it all up and still nothing.
Really starting to get aggravated.
Any ideas?

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you read threw my thread from FTE? it explains how to test the controler and the harness.

I did. Quick skim through it seing what all could be the culprit here. It was late before I got a chance to read it I was ready to sleep lol.
Gonna go back and read through it a lilttle more carefully real fast see were that gets me.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also check the harness connector, the 2 big wires like to burn right there.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harness connector? The one over the passenger side wheel well were the harness connects to the nest set of wires?

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump
Ok so probally not gonna get this fixed this weekend oh well.
But say I'm at school again Monday and it's too cold to start without plugs.
I can take a wire across the two big post on the relay and that'll send power to the gp's if the harness is still good correct?
About to go check harness now.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so there's 12.4 volts at the hot terminal on the relay ( the two big yellow wires)
So by my thinking. The only thing after that pout is the actual relay the two yellow wires feed and the brown wires the gp's connect too. So by my thinking this leaves me with either a bad controller/relay or the brown harness the gp's attach too has a short or break in it somewhere.
Now in reading erics thread he posted it said to connect one end of the voltmeter to the big Z peice of metal connecting the relay and the black box it sits on. Ok I can do that but what kind of readings am I suppose to get?
I really hope it's not the freaking harness..

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Now in reading erics thread he posted it said to connect one end of the voltmeter to the big Z peice of metal connecting the relay and the black box it sits on. Ok I can do that but what kind of readings am I suppose to get?

are you asking what readings you should get when this test is performed.........
disconect bats, touch one of my DVOM leads onto that Z bend piece of metal thing on the gp relay/controler and the other lead into the connector that goes on the gp. i do that for all 8 wires.

^^this is to test the harness. you should get continuity or 0 ohms of resistance to all of the gp connectors. just remember don't energize the relay when you do this or your meter will go ****.LOL

i don't know what kind of meter you have but when i test for contin. my meter will give a loud beep so you know if you have contin.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you asking what readings you should get when this test is performed.........

^^this is to test the harness. you should get continuity or 0 ohms of resistance to all of the gp connectors. just remember don't energize the relay when you do this or your meter will go ****.LOL

i don't know what kind of meter you have but when i test for contin. my meter will give a loud beep so you know if you have contin.

Ok I get it now thanks. Guess I just read it wrong at first.

That's pretty cool what meter do you have? Mine isn't that fancy I can get voltage andddd that's about it LOL

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how hard was it to change your plugs?

It's probally one ofthe easiest things I've done on my truck so far.
Just don't force them out if they don't wanna come hit it with some pb blaster or something like that. Don't want a gp broke off in the head:D