Glow plug indicator or gauge?

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an idea about a gauge that would indicate (on start up) if all the glow plugs were working? It would only to on when the glow plugs cycle.

Does any company make this or has anyone ever tried to make one??
The gauge would have eight wires and eight indicator lights to point to the problem glow plug.

I don't mind checking glow plugs but when its cold outside this might save time finding the "bad seed".

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea, never thought about it. Maybe one of our electric whizzes could figure it out, it can't be that hard. Only problem is it's a lot of wiring and not the usual way these were setup so it's a challenge and could be failure prone itself if the design wasn't robust enough.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
it would be a matter of reading resistance or a relay system with led indicators to show a complete current path through each glowplug....... now you have me thinking

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to a guy at work who's had a lot of working knowledge, he thought that the gauge would have to wired the same way glow plugs function, etc.
I figured that this site and members would have enough collective info to figure it out.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
after more thought if you put a single relay in with a push button trigger with power then run 8 ground wires with a led on each end then a diaode routed into the cab where you can mount the leds then you would run all 8 wires out to each glowplug and tap into them at the connector.

the way this would work is when you push the button power would be fed to the relay and then the leds would light up when the glow plug is good because it completes the circuit to ground when not good the single led would not light for the approite plug

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
if this year treats me better im going to be doing alot more custom wiring projects and this defently makes it pretty high on the list along with led tailights strobe lights frame mounted courtesy lights auxiliary battery banks all sorts of crap that i dont really need

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
93cc7.3 thanks for the info, its on my to do list for the pickup. You mentioned LED taillights that sounds cool,:thumbsup:
That crewcab of yours looks pretty nice, I'm wanting to switch my ext cab to a crewcab then other stuff.
I'm working on a wmo heated tank and all the other stuff that goes with filtering etc.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
thanks i bought this truck just alittle over a year ago been cleaning it up bit by bit i run wmo in the summer so its not heated or anything ... with fuel prices ive been thinking about a heater unit for winter geez 3.29 a gallon here.. anywho ill keep everyone around here informed of any new wiring stuff i do

chadh

Reaction score
All you need is a amp meter, you could even have 2, 1 for each set of 4. To read the current draw when they are on. It would be easy to rig it up.

Chad

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
All you need is a amp meter, you could even have 2, 1 for each set of 4. To read the current draw when they are on. It would be easy to rig it up.

Chad

that would defently work BUT it would only give you a number for 4 plugs not separate ones plus could a amp gauge handle that ampreage.

please don't think im trying to down you just thinking of problems and solutions

chadh

Reaction score
For DC voltage the amp meter must be hooked in series with the glow plug, if you wanted you could put one on every glow plug. No problem getting 1 that will read that many amps my welder has 1 that reads to 350, or you can go digital.

Chad

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
For DC voltage the amp meter must be hooked in series with the glow plug, if you wanted you could put one on every glow plug. No problem getting 1 that will read that many amps my welder has 1 that reads to 350, or you can go digital.

Chad
thats cool i didnt know if they had amp meters that big ive just seen the +30-30 ones maybe getting a set of compact size ones and make a gauge cluster for them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online