glow plug cycle length

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just replaced all 8 of my glow plugs, and i have a manual set up. how long should i cycle the plugs before i try starting? i dont want to cycle them too long and burn them up.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run them for 15-20 seconds, then fire it up. Hit the button on and off a few times while it warms up for the first 20-40 seconds the engine is running, and you'll duplicate the factory system.

Ryan

SKimballC

Reaction score
As far as Ryan's advice, you probably only need to cycle them that long when totally cold. They will take less to re-start after its been running that day. Down in that swamp- er, I mean state, that you live in it don't get too damn cold, does it?

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its pretty damn swampy here, but believe you me i was born a stump jumper and will always be a stump jumper. i was born in the country i just live here. no it doesnt get really too cold here, maybe sometimes in the 30s, and that dont happen to often.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 15-20 seconds is a real bad idea with all due respect to the previous posters unless you have 12 volt glow plugs or constant duty marine ones. Usually 8-10 seconds would be enough if everything else is right. It always was for mine unless something else was amiss, right on down to 22*F

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with JD. The factory controller only runs them for something like 6 - 10 seconds. The factory IDI plugs are the "quick glow" type and are not intended to take steady voltage for long without overheating and burning out and / or swelling.

I have dual coil plugs and I'll only run them for maybe 12 seconds, and that's if it's really cold.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeh i had already taken into consideration about most people would be talking about the 12volt plugs, and i knew that they would take less time on the cycles seeing they are 6volt plugs. just wanted to make sure. thanks for all the help yall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZTSpridgen

Members online