Glow plug controller under turbo?

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my GPControler and my truck has an ATS turbo kit. Has anyone replaced there controler in this situation? Do I need to remove the turbo in order to get to the controller?

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What truck? I am guessing 93 / 94... you probably want to remove the airbox but the turbo should stay.

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'88 f250. I know the controller is under/behind the turbo. I need to know do I have to remove the turbo inorder to get to /repkace it?

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also there is a plastic black cover over it, is that stock? I used to own a '91 with out a turbo and it was fairly easy to replace

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your ATS turbo the one that's mounted "square"? I'm about to convert my '93 NA to (factory) turbo and I know the glow plug controller has to be relocated since it won't fit with the pedestal and turbo sitting back there...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to remove the turbo itself to change out the controller. Yes the black plastic cover is supposed to be on the 7.3 style controllers.

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know what you mean by square. The turbo is mounted at the back of the motor, on top, in the center of the vally and the controller is right under it somewhat to the drivers side. Good to know about the cover.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious in pictures. By Square, I meant that the shaft of the turbo would be either parallel to the crankshaft, or perpendicular to it, as seen from above. The factory turbo is at an angle, or as Pearl described it, "cockeyed" :sly

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only the ats 093 will fit with the glow plug controller in place, so we can say that’s what the op has. These kits originally came with the parts to relocate the glow plug controller but many didn’t do the extra work when installing it. The controller shouldn’t be mounted there with the turbo installed because it is exposed to too much heat, which is why it was relocated in the factory turbo trucks. You will not need to remove the turbo to get to the controller, just the air box.

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am assuming I should relocate it when I replace it? Also what voltage is sent to the flow plugs? Can I do a manual override or just by pass the controller? Ive had a couple 6.2 idi and with 60G plugs that dont burn out, I just run a manual override.

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the old one removed. One bolt was a bit difficult. I replaced it with a RX one and relocated it by extending the wires. First time I havent had to plug my truck in.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Isn't the banks the only one mounted cockeyed

Nope, my ATS 085 van kit's air box seems to be tilted towards the passenger side and towards the grill, probably for better airflow from the stock air inlet vent. It lacks a lid because it would be impossible to install in a van height wise, but it has a retaining ring around the air filter (the silver piece). It's tilted downward towards the factory air filter inlet box, but there's no tube so it just naturally blows in the general direction of the air filter.

20190129_113448-jpg.120540

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online