Glow plug controller going out. Is it the brain or relay?

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
So my glow plug controller has been giving me trouble and its becoming more and more often. This is what I have noticed. The 1st time i turned the key on and let the WTS light run then cranked it over and no start. So i turn off the ignition and back on and waited for the WTS light to go out and she fired up as normal. This happened the next morning and i went threw the same steps. On the 3rd morning i got smart and listened for the "click" the GP controller makes when it shuts off and the repeated clicking on and off after. Sure enough when the WTS light went out and no click so i would cycled the GP controller until i herd the clicking and then the engine would fired up.

So i am wondering if thats just the relay on the controller screwing up or the controller it self

Thx

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the last time my truck made that clicking sound i had 4 bad plugs.... just a thought

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More than likely a bad relay or it wouldn't work at all. Burn't relay contacts, normal problem.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when the glowplugs burn out the controller acts stupid and turns the relay on and off. All I did was a new relay and manual (new) glowplugs to mine. Mechanical truck, why trust ancient technolgoy :dunno

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Ohhh ok. My understanding is that when the WTS light goes out the GPs cycle on and off

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Had the same issues. Had 1 good glow plug. However I replaced them all with good motorcraft plugs, and it started doing it again 3 months later.

PZ