Glow plug connectors-really good ones

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those with the factory harness where the plastic around the connectors is crumbling but the terminals are still good, these gp boots for the humvee MIGHT work - I say might as I have not tried them myself, but they look like they could work. At $10, I would buy them if the plastic insulation on my gp terminals was failing and give them a try.https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUMMER-HUMVEE-HMMWV-M998-GLOW-PLUG-BOOTS-LOT-OF-8/350275972393

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those with the factory harness where the plastic around the connectors is crumbling but the terminals are still good, these gp boots for the humvee MIGHT work - I say might as I have not tried them myself, but they look like they could work. At $10, I would buy them if the plastic insulation on my gp terminals was failing and give them a try.https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUMMER-HUMVEE-HMMWV-M998-GLOW-PLUG-BOOTS-LOT-OF-8/350275972393
Looks like it would be worth a try.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plastic crumbling is the beginning of the end of the connectors. That is what happened to mine. Besides covering the connector and keeping it somewhat clean, it also keeps tension on the electrical connection. No tension means poor intermittent connections. I would have trouble with my controller short cycling, and all I would do is unplug and plug back in all the glowplug connectors. It would work fine for about 2 weeks and then it would start short cycling again. After unplugging and plugging back in the connectors several times, I gave up on it.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I have been thinking about ordering some metric long barrel gold plated spring style female bullet connectors through a local hobby shop.
They are supposed to have 2mm thick silicone boots, come in a pack of 10.
I can't remember the diameter, they are available in .5mm diameter increments, I just took a spare gp with me and we measured with a caliper.
Long lead time, Mark doesn't order from this supplier until he gets a big enough order ($250) to avoid a freight charge, could be a week, could be 2 months, but I'm not paying $40 freight on a $7 order......
I haven't because they are a solder connection, not crimp, but they are supposed to be rated for 150A@32V.....
Marketed to use for hot-rodding the high end RC cars (lipo batteries, brushless motors, etc).
If I do this (and they fit), I'd make a full new GP harness with silicone sheathed wire.
Just throwing this out there for other people who are pondering an alternative to the standard bullet connectors.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about ordering some metric long barrel gold plated spring style female bullet connectors through a local hobby shop.
They are supposed to have 2mm thick silicone boots, come in a pack of 10.
I can't remember the diameter, they are available in .5mm diameter increments, I just took a spare gp with me and we measured with a caliper.
Long lead time, Mark doesn't order from this supplier until he gets a big enough order ($250) to avoid a freight charge, could be a week, could be 2 months, but I'm not paying $40 freight on a $7 order......
I haven't because they are a solder connection, not crimp, but they are supposed to be rated for 150A@32V.....
Marketed to use for hot-rodding the high end RC cars (lipo batteries, brushless motors, etc).
If I do this (and they fit), I'd make a full new GP harness with silicone sheathed wire.
Just throwing this out there for other people who are pondering an alternative to the standard bullet connectors.

Never considered that but I have a supply of them here for RC cars. Hmm I can check and report back.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size are our glow plug wires? Those, and the cheap-o NAPA ones, only go up to 14AWG. I thought our wires were 12 or bigger?

I don't remember what they are but the ones in the 6.0 harness I used are pretty thin, might be 14 or 16. I want to say someone said the factory harness uses 14ga fuseable link wire but I don't remember for sure.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get the idea to make the glowplug harness wiring any smaller or larger than the factory had it. The controller was calibrated for the size wire they used. Just like the resistance in a poor connection on the glowplug plug-in messes the controller up, radically different wire size would too.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get the idea to make the glowplug harness wiring any smaller or larger than the factory had it. The controller was calibrated for the size wire they used. Just like the resistance in a poor connection on the glowplug plug-in messes the controller up, radically different wire size would too.

Good thought. The glow plug resistance is low enough that the wire resistance might well matter.

What size was the original wire?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online