Glow Plug Broke

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big problem, my son took my 87 250 to college this semester and left the glow plugs on and fried all of them. I have the controller bypass and had a pull out switch instead of a momentary switch. Anyhow instead of calling me he tried to fix it himself. Autolites!! Yes he put 8 new autolite plugs in. They stopped working the second time he started it. I got it started and drove it home yesterday. All of the new plugs are bad. Got the first 4 out with now problem. The 5th one broke off. Help! I assume I have to pull the head to get the tip out, correct. Any tips!

All he had to do was call me and I could have told him to buy ZD9's.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK Dad, why would the Son call, at that age they know everything. :D

If the tip is still stuck in there and you can see it, bring that cyl. piston up to TDC so nothing can drop down in it. If all the GP threads are out, take as big a wood screw, not so big as to expand it, that will screw down into the GP tip, keep screwing in and pulling up with vise grips and hope it will come out.
To determine where the pistons are at, take the cover off on the front of the timing gear housing, turn the engine over until the IP drive dowel pin is at 4:00, #1 & 4 cylinder will be at TDC, each 1/4 turn will bring the next firing order pistons up to TDC. Rotate clockwise. Firing order is marked on intake manifold.

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to try to suck out the tip today with a vacuum and straw. Any ideas why the autolites would swell up so quick? He apparently only started it twice before they stopped working. My thought is he was running them more than 15 seconds which he may have been doing with the ZD9's without ever having a problem. He's been driving the truck for about 1 1/2 years. Of the 7 I got out without breaking 3 or 4 were starting to swell. Why are the even allowed to sell the autolites if they fail that quick? Is there any other reason they could have swelled up that quick? Bad controller?

If I can't get the tip out I'm thinking about getting someone to pull the head, don't really have time myself. Any shop recommendations in the Fredericksburg, VA area?

Last edited:

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's frustrating because the truck is in great condition, rust free and runs perfect. The engine is tight and runs like a new truck.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exactly the reason you should have to open the hood and use a push button switch to cycle your GP instead of this...

I have not used my GP in over a year, I plug it in instead, she is plugged in right now, No broken GPs

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exactly the reason you should have to open the hood and use a push button switch to cycle your GP instead of this...

I have not used my GP in over a year, I plug it in instead, she is plugged in right now, No broken GPs

And how much money does that cost you in your electric bill? Running a 1500w(or whatever it is) heater is going to cost some money.

To the original poster; Why do you hold the glowplugs on so long if you have a manual button? 15 seconds is excessive in my opinion. If you feel it needs 15 seconds, why not do two 7.5 second glows, cranking a little bit inbetween. You are in control, you do not have to burn them so long.

I have never had a glowplug stuck, but have heard of people just cranking the engine over and using compression to push it out. That's if it's still stuck in the head and not rolling around on top of the piston. Someone may come back with experience on that method though, so wait and see if someone chimes in before you do it.

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't keep them on that long but I suspect my son did or does. It's not stuck it must be rolling around in the pre chamber or on the cylinder head.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And how much money does that cost you in your electric bill? Running a 1500w(or whatever it is) heater is going to cost some money.

To the original poster; Why do you hold the glowplugs on so long if you have a manual button? 15 seconds is excessive in my opinion. If you feel it needs 15 seconds, why not do two 7.5 second glows, cranking a little bit inbetween. You are in control, you do not have to burn them so long.

I have never had a glowplug stuck, but have heard of people just cranking the engine over and using compression to push it out. That's if it's still stuck in the head and not rolling around on top of the piston. Someone may come back with experience on that method though, so wait and see if someone chimes in before you do it.

Alot cheaper than down for the day/week till you get your GP system fixed. Funny alot of people would spend hours fixing the GP system to make a deadline rather than plugging it in and getting to work...

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried to suck it out yet but the good news is it is at TDC and the broke GP is in the number one cylinder. Hopefully I can grab it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you have to do is , remove the injector, then with a vacuum stuck in that hole, takes some compressed air if you have that, keep spritzing the air in while sucking. The hole from the precup is very small so more than likely the tip didn't go into the cyl. Good luck. Report back please.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That #1 cyl injector has a timing pickup on it, you have to hold that with another wrench when you remove the hard line nut or you will ruin or twist the line.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... My thought is he was running them more than 15 seconds which he may have been doing with the ZD9's without ever having a problem....

ZD9 is the # for the style of plug, not just Beru/Motorcraft in other words autolite and champion and bosh that fit our trucks are ZD9 plugs FYI

So what BRAND of plug where you using?

Why not REMOVE the manual switch and return the system to stock? Stock works well when you have good components and wiring. Hard to mess up when it shuts off automatically right?

JM2CW

I do like the idea of a remote underhood manual setup, add a remote starter in there and yer golden.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
At the very least remove the on/off switch and install a momentary. And just as important, let no one drive your truck.

A lot of you guys still have cheap electric rates so you can get away with using the block heater. Here in Communist Kalifornia electricity is gold, there's no way I could use a block heater, I don't know in all the years I've been running IDIs if a single block heater in any of them even worked.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score

I did that once, the GP tip was broke off in the hole. I placed a rag over the hole and started the engine. Tip shot right out of there and the rag caught it.

But this method is a do it at your own risk procedure, you could get lucky like I did or you could have the tip get sucked down into the combustion chamber. And keep everyone away unless they want to know what it feels like to have a small slug go through their head.

If the tip isn't in the hole, the heads coming off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle