Glasspacks?

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
I used to drive a 89 f350 7.3idi for work and the only thing that would work was glasspacks or strait pipes it would blow the end right out of any muffler we put on it.
so my question is what do you all think of putting glasspacks on one of our idi trucks to me it would let the exaust be almost freeflow like straight pipes to help with MPG and give it a more agresive sound profile. I just put one on my 93 7.3 and it sounds very nice. will post pic and maby video in the morning some time.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
All I did was spend $22.99 at autozone for a thrush 28" glasspack 2.5" in and out. grab the cutting tortch chop muffler off fit glasspack clamp and go all total under $30 and I am done.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I have a 3" on my 91 and love it!

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3" on my 91 and love it!

Are you just running the factory y-pipe and tailpipe?? Now that i'm driving mine id like to free up the exhaust flow without spending much, since i have a turbo to put on it later.. But rite now with everything all stock and the fuel cranked 1.5 flats i can get to 1100 degree egt's just pulling a grade empty, i'm pretty sure if id try it loaded id melt the engine down.. I was thinking of trying to run it with just the y-pipe and have my local exhaust guy bend a 3" exit out in front of the rear tire, but i'm bettin that would be way loud.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you just running the factory y-pipe and tailpipe?? Now that i'm driving mine id like to free up the exhaust flow without spending much, since i have a turbo to put on it later.. But rite now with everything all stock and the fuel cranked 1.5 flats i can get to 1100 degree egt's just pulling a grade empty, i'm pretty sure if id try it loaded id melt the engine down.. I was thinking of trying to run it with just the y-pipe and have my local exhaust guy bend a 3" exit out in front of the rear tire, but i'm bettin that would be way loud.

Ya really don't want to run your exhaust out in front of the rear tire, nasty soot all over it, tough to keep clean.

On my 90, I've got dual exhaust with 2-1/2" Cherry Bombs exit out in front of both rear wheels, nasty soot, but really nice sound.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Factory y-pipe then an adaptor the 3" the rest of the way. Mine is n/a and love it. If I want to here it I roll the Windows down, if not they stay up.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does it make you get better mpg? The back pressure? My pump is up3.5 flats and 3 1/2 straight dumps by rear tire turbo tho sounds good and I'm not having a soot problem sounds great not that loud if my foots out off it I'm goin to a 4 in in a few weeks I'm getting the pipe from a friend tomorrow all post video and pics when finished

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol I said sounds good twice gotta love the sound of an IH they have a sound of there own!

SlimF350

Reaction score
I want to order a Porter muffler for mine. 5" body with a 3" in/out. It's all steel and made here locally. Not as cheap as a glasspack, but it's also "not as cheap" as a glasspack.

Slim

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 2.5 true duals with glass packs on my 88 idi plow truck. I liked the way is sounded but the cop in town sure did not like it when he handed my a 150 dollar ticket and told me it was illegal, he must have been really looking to get me for something that's the only time I was pulled over and they made sure the vin number on my dash was right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online