gizmo

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Some times when I connect the trailer (6 pins) before I would not have the left turning light, I re did the wires and all was good but after a few days the runing lights would not work anymore, now the brake lights will not work but the brakes do work. Does anyone have any ideas? The brake controller is a prodigy teconsha almost new. '

Thank you.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad ground somewhere to me.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It must be on my truck bc it is not on the trailers unless all have bad grounds. Does anyone have a wiring diagram to follow on the truck on my signature? I replaced the plugs on the bumper and all the trailers, all the relays on the fuse box in the engine compartment, I order a flasher in case mine got old (underpowered?) and I'm intriged bc it will work one time and not the next time, how many grounds does it have and where?

Thank You.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
EZ do you have a ground wire going between the truck and trailer? Don't rely on just the hitch making the ground.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
GRuss said:
EZ do you have a ground wire going between the truck and trailer? Don't rely on just the hitch making the ground.

Yes I do. Today I towed another load with the same trailer and everything was OK this I don't get, it looks like a bad ground or a bad relay?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
What are the connection pins like? are they in good shape? Reason I say this is at the start of every RV season for me I have to spend some time cleaning the pins on both the truck and the trailer before things will work (lights, brakes and battery charge line) If I don't do this I get all kinds of werid stuff going on behind me. What you are describing sounds like bad connections

Exekiel69

Reaction score
argve said:
What are the connection pins like? are they in good shape? Reason I say this is at the start of every RV season for me I have to spend some time cleaning the pins on both the truck and the trailer before things will work (lights, brakes and battery charge line) If I don't do this I get all kinds of werid stuff going on behind me. What you are describing sounds like bad connections

The plugs are new. Like Mike said maybe it is a bad ground but I don't know where to look. The trailer have it's own ground for every connection.

pafixitman

Reaction score
A lot of trailers use the hitch as the ground connection. On my enclosed, I switched the plug from a four wire flat to a six pin round and used the extra two pins as a ground connection. Bright lights now!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It does not matter wich trailer I connect it to, it'll do the same thing sometimes work sometimes not. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or any idea where to get it.

Thank You.

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
sounds to me like your ground for sure. on our '95 the integrated ground was broken so we connected a wire direct to the frame and then routed it through to the ground in the 6 pin plug so we were for sure all trailers were grounded...

one way to check if it's a ground is when it is working, unhook the trailer from the ball and leave the trailer wires plugged in, that should help you to trouble shoot it, if there is no change then it's the truck, if the lights go dead when you unhook then your trailer is grounding through the ball...

good luck

pafixitman

Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
It does not matter wich trailer I connect it to, it'll do the same thing sometimes work sometimes not. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or any idea where to get it.

Thank You.

EZ, see if this helps.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well how many grounds do I have? I connected the ground (white wire) that goes to the Bcontroller to the battery ground.