Gear vendors / 2wd-4x4

hardknocks

Reaction score
What is involved in taking a GV off a 2wd truck and putting it on my 4x4 . I guess somthing is different as in a 2wd it connects to the tranny , the 4x4 to the transfer case . Just wondering how expensive it would be to change the setup .

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I think you just need a different adaptor. I believe you can contact GV, and they will exchange your old adaptor for the correct one. For a price of course.

hardknocks

Reaction score
They need to know what transfer case i have....how do i find this out? i have an 88 7.3L with a 4x4 c-6 tranny . thx

rthomas

Reaction score
i was going to do the same thing with a gv that was on a totaled truck that i bought, but i found out they wanted $650 to trade adaptors:mad: i thought that was a total ripoff so i sold it instead

aaklingler

Reaction score
I would guess you have the Borg-Warner 1356, does anybody know when they switched to that one, i think there is a tag on one of the bolts that hold the TC tail housing to the TC.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Originally posted by hardknocks
They need to know what transfer case i have....how do i find this out? i have an 88 7.3L with a 4x4 c-6 tranny . thx

I've got the exact same setup. Your transfer case should be a Borg Warner 1356. If you want to be sure, get under the truck & look at the back of the Transfer case, to the left of where the rear drive shaft comes out of the transfer case. It should be stamped into the case. It's like a 12 -14 digit number that starts with 13 - 56*******. Hope that helps.

Scott

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What wheelbase truck do you have? If you have a crew cab 4X4, there would be enough room to mount a GV unit divorced from the transfer case. The reason they charge so much, is your getting half a transfer case with the adapter. If you could use a divorced setup, it would be much cheaper. I'm putting in a divorced unit that takes the place of the carrier bearing on our crew cab.

rthomas

Reaction score
the adaptor is the rear half of the t-case? im glad i didnt get one for my 208, i have a 205 waiting for the day the 208 takes a crap

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all adapters are that way. I'm not sure about the NP cases. With the BW case, there is no mounting flange, so they recast the case to include a flange.

hardknocks

Reaction score
no , i have a reg cab 8( . I eamiled GV and this was thier reply:

Larry,

To qualify for an adapter exchange you must have the adapter that the Gear Vendors is now attached to. Price for a 4x4 adapter exchange is $900.00. $250.00 of that will be credited back to you once we receive the original adapter back at the factory. That makes the final price for the exchange adapter at $650.00, plus shipping. New electronics cost $156.30. The electronics include a new control box, dash switch, foot switch, and all wiring. At the same time I would add $650.00 for a remanufactured exchange unit. The reason for that is you really do not know if the unit is going to function properly once you have installed it into your vehicle. Please call our Technical department at 1-800-999-9555 if you have any further questions, or are ready to order the exchange adapter kit.

Jeff Kubizna
Gear Vendors

In any case im not even going to get involved with this . If anyones interested heres the GV i was looking at on ebay : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=7947931126&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Word of caution...this seller seems a little shady . He had the entire truck up for bid with engine and all under 2 different listings , a 5 day and a 10 day . I thought this was odd but kept my fingures crossed and bid on the 5day auction . Decided to call him anyway....and he said...o well...i sold the motor already . I was like what?!? Then he told me he'd sell me th GV for 1000$ .

LMAO i was bidding on the entire truck for 750 at that point!!Any way seems like he places ebay adds , waits for calls then if its to his advantage parts things out , then retracts the auction .

To bad , would have been a great deal for me...and its only about 45min north of me .

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad he's parting it out. It didn't look that bad. Oh well, keep your eyes open. Maybe you will find a unit already set up for your truck.