gear cover swap

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi, im going to swap the gear cover on my 84 to one that has a hole for the tach sensor. im looking for information on a way to get it all timed with the front cover still on if that makes sense. i have it down to a short block now, doing head gaskets and studs. any info would be welcomed, thanks.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
So, I guessing you already pulled the IP, timing gear cover and timing gear off your engine? If this is the case, it's not impossible to do but it feels like it when you're trying to do it. You'll need an inspection mirror and a bright flashlight. First, you need to make sure your #1 piston is at TDC then look for the matk on the cam gear that matches the one on the IP gear. (I can't remember what it looks like) Put JUST the gear in, make sure the marks are lined up perfectly then put the timing gear cover on. Once you have the cover bolted down, you need not worry about losing time or the gear moving, there isn't enough clearance to permit gear movement. Also, be sure when you bolt down the cover that you have the lip on the forward facing bottom of it aligned where its supposed to be.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
havent pulled it off yet. i remember hearing that there was a way to actually see the marks, just couldnt remember what it was. if you can actually see the marks with a mirrror thats great, thanks.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
It would be much easier to leave everything bolted in place! Pull your old cover off and put your new one on without disturbing the gear and call it done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726