Gauge Cluster Issues

hotrodlogger

Reaction score
Hoping someone on here may have had the same problem as I am having with my truck, or at least could give me some advice on where to start looking for the cause.

-Truck is a 06 2500 Quad Cab SLT 4x4 CTD

Occasionally the entire gauge cluster shuts off while the truck is running. All gauges and display ceases to function with the exception of the odometer/tripmeter. It will then turn back on the same way it would normally when you turn the key on to start the truck. The truck runs and drives normally when this happens. It sometimes goes back to functioning normally instantly, other times will stay off for a couple minutes.

- There are no modifications to this truck, it is completely stock. The only exception is a dealer installed Mopar remote starter.
- It seems to be worse when it is warmer out, above about 70 F.
- Truck has around 65 k on it.

Thanks for any insight!

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any codes coming up? Have both of the batteries been load tested? First thing I would check would be the connection on the back of the cluster itself.

-Jordan-

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, sounds like a power supply issue. Either is it completely loosing power, or it is dropping below the minimum level to operate the instrument cluster.

I had saw the same action in my 03 Excursion 6.0L... The alternator had failed, and the battery voltage had dropped below ~9 volts. At this level, all the gauges would drop to 0, as if the truck were shut off..... when the batteries would recover the dash would work, then drop out again.....

I would check fuses, circuit breakers, wiring and see if something is amiss.......

hotrodlogger

Reaction score
No codes.

Did a little screwing around today trying to figure it out....when I cycle the tilt steering up and down it will cut out every time. Looks like it's just a bad connection or a bad wire in the harness. Will have to rip it apart tomorrow.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you adjust your steering wheel alot? If your one that adjusts your steering wheel up and down alot in a day you probably have some damaged wires, do some looking around. Ive heard of this happening before.

-Jordan-

hotrodlogger

Reaction score
Do you adjust your steering wheel alot? If your one that adjusts your steering wheel up and down alot in a day you probably have some damaged wires, do some looking around. Ive heard of this happening before.

-Jordan-

I flip the wheel up every time I get out of the truck, otherwise my fat ass doesn't fit when I get back in....lol

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha ha yea thats your problem then my buddy is so tall he has to do the same thing, and had a few wires pinched and not making good connection in what sounds to be the same area.

-Jordan-

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online