Gates water pump, poor quality

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
A few times a year, I post about some **** poor quality that I experience in new, replacement parts. Too shed light on the lack luster workmanship and spread the knowledge on whats decent and whats not. This time around, it's water pumps that im talking about.

I installed 3 Gates 44018 water pumps on idi's in the past year or so. 2 of which now have 13-15,000km on them. KM not Miles. Both of which are already showing considerable play in the propeller shaft. They are not leaking yet, but im sure they will before too long. One has no play yet but there isn't even 1000km on it yet. One of the 2 with play, may even be rumbling already...

Usually this amount of play is seen well after 100,000miles on the OEM pumps. The belts are not too tight, proper coolant is being used, everything was installed correctly. So im back at the drawing board to find out the hard way what a better quality replacement is....Gates always used to be decent

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I install lots of gates pumps on all kinds of cars including my own. Now problems yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online