Gas Burner Question

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
Ok instead of opening up a new thread i will post here. I am currently running the 351 windsor in my 89 150 till i get the diesel, i thing the pump in my tank is getting weak and i was wondering if i could put something like this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...for+domestic+carburetors&brandName=Mr.+Gasket on the frame to help out for a while till i get my swap done any help is appreciated the windsor is Fuel Injected also or this http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...s-Univ-Airtex_3141128-P_N3339K_P|GRP2030P____

Last edited:

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that you could squeeze 20 out of a 4.6 auto. the best i've ever seen anybody get around here is about 18, and nothing more.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the 351 EFI or carb? If its carb, then those pumps should work fine. If its EFI, then you might need a higher pressure pump ($$$).

The AirTex one looks identical to the pump I used in the diesel ranger we have. Workes good, but won't build enough pressure for anything other than a diesel lift pump or carburated fuel system. I suspect that pump is an international standard that is marketed under various brands.

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
it shows the airtex are made for EFI systems that are only xx amount, I was just looking for something to help boost the pressure a bit and yes my 351 is EFI

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a helper pump it might work, but it depends on how weak your main pressure pump is. The pressure the airtex puts out will be only around 8 PSI. It can work with an EFI system but by itself it can't put out the pressure needed to fire the injectors.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should work, but I don't know if the dying pump in the tank will act as a restriction on the works. If the tank pump is completely bypassed then it should work perfectly.

Have you verified that the pickup tube is not clogged? They have a small filter right on the end.