Fusible link is smoking hot!

ISELLTRUX

Cars and SUV's
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed the voltage gauge no longer moves to the charging side like it did before. I snooped around the voltage regulator, touched the fusible link and boy was it hot! Is that normal. I swear I could smell burning wires but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Regulator was warm. Looks like everything is in its place. Gonna check the alternator tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never noticed any of them being "hot". I believe I'd be looking for chafed wire and bad connections.
Just my 2 cents.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something is drawing a lot of current. I would not think that would be normal. Even if you did have a poor connection, it takes a good bit of draw to create a lot of heat. These trucks do not take a lot of current to run, unless you had the headlights on or some other draw. If it was the alternator output link, and nothing else was on in the truck, you might have a battery that is not in very good shape and is drawing a lot of charging current. This would also explain the voltage gauge, it will not go up if there is a really heavy load on the system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online