Funny shudder

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
My truck lately has a funny shudder when it's shut down, or if I step on the accelerator. if I (lightly) step on the accelerator, it almost feels like it wants to die, but it quickly picks back up. Not enough driving down the road for hours would be hazardous, but i'm starting to wonder what this means. It tends to shake the truck a little also when I do that. Turbo lag? Coking of the turbo? Or something else? It's been dry docked for a while since I had a tread seperation incident a while back, so I can't obviously take it out on the freeway and run it's guts out if it's unhappy for sitting. I do start it and bring it up to high idle kick off, which can take 5-10 minutes.

It did it today even. 36 out, still has summer fuel. hated starting at first, but the second glow plug cycle had it fire right up. Thoughts? Suggestions?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When these engines shut down, they stop almost instantly, due to the hi compression. I suspect you may have leaking injector(s). A leaking injector might supply enough fuel to try and keep running after shut down, something like a gasser does, forgot the term used. Say you have 6 & 8 with leaking injectors, if 6 was the next to fire and it did 8 would be next and it could also fire then the engine would stop, that could possibly give you 2 or 3 shudders. Just a theory.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
A leaking injector might supply enough fuel to try and keep running after shut down, something like a gasser does, forgot the term used.
*snerk* they actually call that Dieseling.

Minor WAG, but it could also be a sticky metering valve in the IP. Couple quarts of ATF in the tank, or the ATF in then filter overnight trick may help.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
*snerk* they actually call that Dieseling.

Minor WAG, but it could also be a sticky metering valve in the IP. Couple quarts of ATF in the tank, or the ATF in then filter overnight trick may help.

I have some of the howes meaner kleaner? I believe it's called. Think that would be better then ATF? much like the Rotella VS AMSOIL VS Mobil VS every other oil debates, i've grown weary of the ATF wars. hence why I picked up the howes, especially when I saw it described in a few places as "seafoam on steroids". Is ATF okay in your opinions? I don't need more engine repairs. got enough as it is. Hoping a job comes through so I can land a set of tires, new injectors and a pump to make my truck happy!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*snerk* they actually call that Dieseling

OK laugh if you must, had that on the tip of my tongue as they say, just couldn't process it out of this old brain. Think I got a virus in there.:rotflmao Came to me about 3AM today.

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is ATF okay in your opinions? I don't need more engine repairs. got enough as it is. Hoping a job comes through so I can land a set of tires, new injectors and a pump to make my truck happy!
Mine gets ATF in every tank with a little 2 cycle oil to make it blue.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I have some of the howes meaner kleaner? I believe it's called. Think that would be better then ATF? much like the Rotella VS AMSOIL VS Mobil VS every other oil debates, i've grown weary of the ATF wars. hence why I picked up the howes, especially when I saw it described in a few places as "seafoam on steroids". Is ATF okay in your opinions? I don't need more engine repairs. got enough as it is. Hoping a job comes through so I can land a set of tires, new injectors and a pump to make my truck happy!

Don't know if the Howes would be better. I've never used it, but ALOT of people swear by it so it certainly cannot be bad. I use ATF only because I have it on hand and it has always worked wonders. Also ATF is very ok as a fuel additive.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am afraid the dye in the ATF would turn the fuel in the tank red wouldn't it? Would it turn the test positive if you got stopped and the tanks were dipped?

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am afraid the dye in the ATF would turn the fuel in the tank red wouldn't it? Would it turn the test positive if you got stopped and the tanks were dipped?
That's why I mix 2 cycle oil with the ATF. 1 part 2 cycle to 4 parts ATF and shake it up. I use 16 oz. per tank.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you would get dipped, it wouldn't show up as off road fuel. They have a special dip stick that reacts with the red dye they use.

Edit: If you ever did use off road fuel, it takes about 5 to 10 tank fulls to get all the dye out of the tank. Thats from the horses mouth as they say.

Last edited: