funky guages ?s

olivera149

Reaction score
i just modified a 92 and up A-pillar to make room for more guages and added a tans temp guage. For the most part my Trans temp guage is working right, except one time it started rising until it read 250 going down the highway unloaded and i knew it wasnt right, pulled off the road and let the engine idle for about 10 minutes while i was checking connections and it has been reading right since then.

The thing i am concerned with is my pyro, it seems to really delay in its readings, the numbers are the same as before on grocery runs, but after the other guage install and moving it to my A pillar it seems to lag. I checked all the connections and i have the guages 20 awg wires connected together with 18 awg wires and then they are tapped into the power supplys. I called autometer and they said they would give me a call back and then i wrote them an email and still no responses. I hear good things about Isspro guages, but i just bought what the local store had to offer when i needed a pyro.

Is there anything i missed or i can check over other than connections which i have done about 20x already?

TIA

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pyrometer is easily led astray by inductive coupling. The voltages and currents involved in moving that needle are extremely small. I suspect the presence of the new wiring is at fault. Whenever I mount a pyrometer, I put it in the lowest hole of the A-pillar and keep the wires away from everything else.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of Pyro do you have. I have a VDO pyro on my 88 and it also has quite a bit of delay in the readings. I think it reads correctly once it gets up to where it needs to be, but it sure takes longer to get there than the Banks pyro on my 1990 truck. The banks only has electric inputs only for the lights but the VDO requires electricity for the guage to function. I have been thinking about getting an Isopro or another Banks and throwing that VDO away.

akoldnav

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, the length of wire on the thermocouple of a pyro gauge can affect its readings. You aren't supposed to alter the length of the wires from the thermocouple to the gauge- the extra resistance of the added wiring can cause inaccurate readings.

Ryan

olivera149

Reaction score
thanks for the respsonses guys, i have the pyro mounted(Autometer Sport Comp) at the top and the trans temp mounted middle and now i have the bottom one open until my oil pressure guage comes in. Would having the trans temp send line runing close to the pyro wires cause enough of a disturbance and that could be the problem. I have my pyro coming through the clutch block off plate on the firewall as well as my brake controller wires and trans temps sender wire, should i make a new whole only for the pyro?

TIA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5