Fule injection and glow plug s

Story big blue

Reaction score
Had to put in inline pump and glow plug momentary switch never disconnected Macanical pump and hooked up electric pump to stater Solenoid so pump only prims injectors when tuning over then Machanical pump takes over when running I seem to work going to do a pressure test to make sure .the pump is a 3/8 inline with 3/8 compression fittings hopefully it doesn’t restrict flow. Done a couple of runs no issues but haven’t pulled a load yet. Yes I heard the low pressure pumps don’t last

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Unless you have a check valve and bypass loop on the electric pump, you could inadvertently increase the inlet restriction on the lift pump. Down the road that can cause issues.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found that the usually recommended Facet lift pump couldn't quite keep up with the increased fuel demands once I turboed my 7.3 NA. (light would come on above 6 psi boost and I am running 10-11).

I also wanted to retain the ability to prime without wearing out the batteries and starter... so I reinstalled a new mechanical pump with the electric in series (after the mechanical - otherwise, if its diaphragm fails the electric will pump the crankcase full of diesel!). Now I have enough fuel and the ability to prime. :)

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most all vehicles now run a electric pump only. Nothing to be gained by trying to keep the mechanical pump AND the electric pump.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, *I* gained something - maintaining fuel pressure on long pulls which the electric pump wasn't doing! And (re)gained the ability to turn the key and pump air out of the system without killing the batteries and starter. As I already mentioned.
I didn't just add the electric one, I tried running only on electric but hadn't picked one that could keep up.