Fuel tank & rear brakes

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
jslash said:
It also appears that the bearings aren't packed with bearing grease. They appear to be bathed in gear lub from the axle. Am I seeing this correctly?

TIA!

Jim

You will get mixed opinions here. They are in fact lubed from the axle, but I pack mine. We had this discussion before on the other site, and one person said not to grease, then came back and said their Ford service manual did say to pack in grease (I don't have the manual). I was told to pack them by a guy that worked/retired as a Ford service manager and is prolly the best mechanic I have ever known. I did this on my 1966, my 1972 and such trucks with the same setup and drove them MANY miles with no problems.

jslash

Reaction score
sle2115 said:
You will get mixed opinions here. They are in fact lubed from the axle, but I pack mine. We had this discussion before on the other site, and one person said not to grease, then came back and said their Ford service manual did say to pack in grease (I don't have the manual). I was told to pack them by a guy that worked/retired as a Ford service manager and is prolly the best mechanic I have ever known.

Well, I'm not here to argue, I'm here to learn. So that many people can't be wrong and what the heck, it can't hurt! So I'll pack them. But before I can even get that far I have to figure out how to get the hubs off. I've removed the nut with the special nut tool and removed the outer bearing but still the hub won't come off.

Anyone have a manual that shows a breakout drawing???

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online