fuel system repairs

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
I have a few questions. My rear tank is leaking. I have patched it once with JB weld, a long time ago. I do have a replacement tank now, but I was wondering how the level sensor and pickup and all that come out.

Second, I think it is about time to replace my return lines. Well, actually it is probably past time. Where are some good places to get this? And is there a write-up on the procedure?

I have a replacement IP, and I was thinking about putting it on there at the same time. Mine works alright, so it isn't necesary. I was wondering if this is a good idea.

I would like to do injectors as well, but my budget says no for now.

Thanks.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a locking ring on the sending unit on the tanks. Use a punch or an old screwdriver and a hammer to get the ring spinning counter clockwise. Once the ring is off, the sending unit just comes right out. You might want to have a good look at the rubber showerhead looking fuel pickup at the bottom of the sender while it is out. I'd suggest dumping it for an equal length of fuel hose with a "V" cut on the bottom. If the fuel pickup is OK now, it will fail in the future. It's just a matter of time. I'd also drive to tank close to empty first..........much easier to handle that way.

You can get a return-line kit for the injectors at lots of places. Just use your old one as a template to make the new one.

Heath

Last edited:

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
I was thinking the fuel pickup might have issues, so I will probably replace that.

I looked at NAPA, and they had a return line kit for $63. I was wondering if I could reuse the caps and just get new o'rings and fuel line. Heck, someone put braided steel fuel lines on, maybe I can just reuse those as well. But can I get by just replacing the o-rings? And if so, what size are they?

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
Okay, so the replacement tank I have also has leaks... So now I think I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new one. I was looking at the oversize ones from JC Whitney, and I was wondering if there is a significant difference between the 84 and 86 tanks besides the price. I also wondered if even though they say not for diesel, if they work with that.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, here's the skinny. The back tank probably needs to be replaced with a stock tank. Its relatively cheap, around $110-120, steel tank. It'll eventually rust out but not anytime soon. You can get them at NAPA, Advance, whoever will make you the best deal. The front tankl can be replaced with an oversize tank from an 80-86 Bronco. 33 gallon capacity and uses the same sender if you get the right one(assuming that would be the big size sender) just make sure before you buy it. A steel one can be had from NAPA for uys still have the oriuginals at around $120 plus freight. The $63 for the return kit is a real ripoff. You can get the exact same kit for $40+- at any reputable fuel injection shop or online for around $20-30 plus shipping. You can make up a fuel return kit but if you use rubber orings that aren't intended for use with solvents then you'll get leaks before you should, then again they are a lot cheaper than the diesel specific ones. I'd think the chemical rated ones would be just as good. The caps are special, you either have to buy them from IH, Ford or a fuel injection shop as far as I know. I have reused them, but towcat and others who know better say that they tend to leak sooner than they should too after they've been through a few heat cycles if they are reused. The hose is nothing special just as long as it's some sort of material that the diesel won't eat. No one here has made a braided steel kit as far as I know but it might be a good project. That return system is one of the lamest things about these trucks. Its functional but leaks were not of a very big concern and any improvement that is economical and functional and safe would be worthwhile. As far as the injectors, a reputable shop will test them for free or cheap...I would hesitate to throw on a used injection pump unless you know for sure its at least as good as the one you have. Personally I say you should either bite the bullet and get a reman or leave well enough alone and run them till there's a problem. The average lifespan on an injector pump is anywhere from 100-200K miles but my last one(abused) only lasted 30K miles and I know some guys still have the original at 300K miles+++. Those are the outliers for better and worse. Good luck with it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online