Fuel Sending Units

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Okay, so my worst fear has came true :p when I bought my truck, the front fuel tank was ALWAYS on empty.... So I had to drive across the state to a wrecking yard that had our kind of trucks, got the fuel level sensor unit out and all was good, UNITL NOW!!!!! It is once again, reading empty...... I do not feel like trying to track down ANOTHER fuel level sensor because they are like trying to find a dinosaur..... Alive LOL, I just reset the miles and know when it needs fuel but I like having everything work on my truck. What can I do? Anyone maybe know where I can find one..... Thats new? Or have a better idea? Like a custom set-up to share? Thanks!

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
--info removed--

Boat sensors operate on a vastly different ohm range. Scratch that idea

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would inspect and test the one you have first. I just finished work on my rear tank and I had two problems... 1 Tthe fuel sensor came apart and the yellow hot wire broke off the solder. Once I redid solder the gauge worked. BUT the other problem was the old-school brass float had hairline cracks and had sank so it showed empty even with fuel in it. I think that was why the P.O. pulled it. That and the fsv was malfunctioning.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the sender bad or did the float just sink? Had the same trouble last year and it was the float. Don't buy the one from LMC truck, however. It says it fits but it's slightly different. Can be made to work by tweaking the arm, but that's not optimal. I measured the old one and found one on eBay the right size.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull your sending unit. I don't know about the bricknose, but on an OBS you can sneak the front tank sending unit out without dropping the tank. Closely inspect your float. I replaced one on my old truck. You can also test the sending unit itself, do a search and you can find the correct impedance and test it with a volt meter.

Good luck

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
Buy a gasser. Cut off fuel pump mount extend tube with brake line and compression fitting then plug your connector on the two of the four terminals used for the sender. The other two for fuel pump power. Mine works well so far.

Ford7.3PSD

Reaction score
Buy a gasser. Cut off fuel pump mount extend tube with brake line and compression fitting then plug your connector on the two of the four terminals used for the sender. The other two for fuel pump power. Mine works well so far.

Hmm, I should have thought about that when I bought the fuel sending unit for my rear tank for my 1994 7.3 idi that is right now missing the rear tank.
What is next for me is to order the 19 gallon fuel tank!

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I should have thought about that when I bought the fuel sending unit for my rear tank for my 1994 7.3 idi that is right now missing the rear tank.
What is next for me is to order the 19 gallon fuel tank!

why not order the bronco 33-38 gallon rear fuel tank?

Ford7.3PSD

Reaction score
why not order the bronco 33-38 gallon rear fuel tank?
Doesn't the 38 gallon rear tank do away with the spare wheel carrier?
My vehicle is missing the fuel filler neck as well for the rear tank, so would a fuel filler neck for a SRW work with a DRW?