Fuel return line question

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i am just getting around to putting a new motor in my truck ( 123,000 kms fron a school bus 500$) after i blew it up almost 2 years ago, im in the home streatch now putting lines and wires in it, i was wondering if i could run the return line from the top of the ip to the first driver side olive, down the drivers side across the to the passenger side and then into the fuel filter? That would make it so much easier for me. Or does it have to be routed to back to the tank?

Ps. Its nice to be back :)

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. It has to be routed back to the tank. That line coming out of the filter head is a return as well. Routing between each injector, filter head, and IP doesn't necessarily matter as much, as long as they each have a path back to that fitting behind cylinder #8 that leads back to the tank. That fitting has to be there too, it has an orifice in it to control return line pressure.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our engines require a return to the tanks. About 80% or a little more of the fuel going thru the filter is returned to the tanks. Reasons for this large amount of return is the fuel is used as a coolant for there injectors and injection pump. It also is a lube for both of those.

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The motor is in already. Swapped the SAE #1 adaptor to the ford one. I also swapped motor mounts, oil cooler, exhaust manifolds and oil pan. Im just battleing little things now.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The motor is in already. Swapped the SAE #1 adaptor to the ford one. I also swapped motor mounts, oil cooler, exhaust manifolds and oil pan. Im just battleing little things now.

Whats plsn for sae adapter? I could be exceedingly interestd in it

Glad swap going well...where are your pictureslol

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take note on where to run the return line from the injection pump, do not run it into a injector cap use the diagram on the Conestoga link that IDioit provided. An unrestricted return line on the injection pump makes a notable difference.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I believe the oil pan from a bus is the same as our truck oil pan. Its just turned around and so is the oil pickup so the sump is up front instead of the back of the engine. Not sure bout this but recall reading something years ago. Am now suffering CRS...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online