Fuel problem please help!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off stop throwing money at the problem. That has not been decided on yet. The switching valve may or may not be bad and throwing $300.00 at it may not fix it. You need to find out if the valve is fouled up first. Remove it and blow air backwards thru it. Be sure which direction the flow is too. The supply to the motor will be in the same direction of flow. The returns to the tanks (the smaller lines) will be flowing back to the tanks. Hope this helps.... Any truck wrecking yard will have this available. Maybe a yard that lets you "pick n pull" toyr parts... Its an easy way to take something apart so you know whats going on. That way you don't ruin your parts.:eek::D

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it apart. Verified the fuel lines are not blocked. Was very surprised by the amount and volume of diesel that just keeps coming out. Probably one of the worst experiances I've had working on stuff. Go get a new valve from Ford to the tune of $307 after tax. Take the lines loose again get diesel everywhere again. Hook up the new valve. It leaks like a piece of ****. I'm pretty much done with this truck. I've dropped enough on it now where I could have just bought another truck. It's a shame. Don't see many of these trucks in this condition with 75K original miles. I'm stuck with it. I can't sell it because my grandma won't have that. So I guess it will just be a parking lot ornamet at my shop until I can generate some more money to bury in it. What a piece.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked that the fuel lines from the tank to the lift pump are good and dont have a pin hole. Also check the line going from the injection pump to the lift pump. Also how is the screen on the injection pump?

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Injection pump is good. All that was fine. It runs like a champ on the front tank. My current concern is trying to get this new valve to work.

Edit- cute dog. Charles?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Injection pump is good. All that was fine. It runs like a champ on the front tank. My current concern is trying to get this new valve to work.

Edit- cute dog. Charles?

I think another option to consider if all else fails is to put one of those 100 gallon tanks in the bed behind the rear window and take the front tank line form the front tank and feed it to the 100 gallon tank. The only drawback would be no dash fuel gauge.

The dog is a Japanese Chin.

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would hate to chunk two brand new gas tanks and senders and all just to throw a tank in the bed and lose cargo space.

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I put a transfer tank in the bed and plumb it to the mainline and run the return to it I should be good to go right? I'm just really tired of throwing more money than the truck is worth.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
My selector was sucking fuel from one tank and returning it to the other dumping diesel out the cap so I'd had enough.:puke:

I removed the rear tank and selector valve and ran all new fuel lines to and from the front tank with heater hose as a shield and made this pickup.

You must be registered for see images attach

Alright Alright stop laughing.:backoff

It's superthane fuel line on a 90 with some holes in it and an aluminum rivet on the end. I used the superthane all the way, after two years it is still like new and nice and clear.

If you can get by with one tank, it's a simple reliable way to go.;Sweet

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I put a transfer tank in the bed and plumb it to the mainline and run the return to it I should be good to go right? I'm just really tired of throwing more money than the truck is worth.

It sounds like a good idea however you need to check the law on this one as I have seen numerous stickers on fuel transfer tanks warning against such hookups. It would be almost as good to just pump from the aux tank into your good tank/bypassing the selector valve if need be. Keeps you away from a very expensive ticket.

I am not an attorney nor a lawyer, so don't take this as legal advice, it is just my observation-like marriage, for better or worse.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It sounds like a good idea however you need to check the law on this one as I have seen numerous stickers on fuel transfer tanks warning against such hookups. It would be almost as good to just pump from the aux tank into your good tank/bypassing the selector valve if need be. Keeps you away from a very expensive ticket.

I am not an attorney nor a lawyer, so don't take this as legal advice, it is just my observation-like marriage, for better or worse.

I got around that one, For my bed tank, I used an old 150 gal fuel tank off a Volvo semi truck that was already DOT approved as a road fuel tank that is plumbed into the fuel system . I even got the attachment straps and all, so it is secured to the bed with the official DOT approved method,So if they ever pull me over, I'll just point at that nice big tag on the side of the fuel tank that has DOT approved on it :D I got the tank at a scrap metal yard by the pound, it has a little ding in a corner tha tdoesn't show when mounted ( guy must have bonked a curb) no leaks, didn't have to weld anything up, had to chase the straps separately at the big truck wrecking yard , although I'm not sure what the DOT gets their underwear in a bunch about, tank construction is basically similar

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have one if you are looking,

Another possibility, one that happened to me on wvo, I had a slug of goop get into the fuel lines between the tank and the lift pump. It would allow enough fuel to flow at idle but as soon as I went to go the crap in the lines would act like a shut off valve. Completely stopping the flow of fuel to the filter.

I stuck a jar on the line that went into the tank and found that the fuel pump would pull the fuel up and then spit it back out.

I ended up disconnecting the lines at the tank and fuel pump. I put the line on the fuel pump into a jar. Turned the compressor up to 150 psi and gave it hell until all the sludge was out of the lines. After this it primed right up and ran like a new truck.

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it fixed. Exchanged the fuel selector. Put the new one on. Boom, like a brand new truck. Thanks for letting me vent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance