Fuel Pickup/sending units

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
;Pissed Aparently no parts place can get these, and the dealer said ford don't stock them any more. I got the short year run, they said that '90 and '91 were the only years that used this sender/pickup. For a stock rear metal fuel tank. (18 gallon I think)

Any thoughts on what else I can do or use? After dealing with the lines and putting back together the ends with new o-rings and such... bloody thing is squirting fuel out the side of the metal return line tube:backoff

dwaymar

dwaymar
Reaction score
get some black epoxy the type that you repair fuel tanks with the marine grade is the best sand Little and apply let dry over nite and off ya go worked wonders on one of my ole junkers lasted for 5 years

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i just blew 150 on a rear tank sending unit for my 94 with a steel tank. dealer was the only place i could find it and they hit me up another 20 for another plug i had to solder on the truck side as an upgrade:mad: :backoff

i have felt some of that pain, would you have to upgrade to another year tank?

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Ya, doing another year tank might work... At this point I had condemed my front tank about a year ago due it leaks. I ripped into it this afternoon and the sending unit looks clean. So, I am just going to get a new front tank and get it back on the road. Then I can take the time to upgrade the rear one to a bigger bronco tank or something of the sort.

After doing a bit of cleaning the rear tank is toast with what looks like more then one hole in it on the top where the straps were.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also try buying a sender from fordparts.com or LMC Truck. However with the tanks in such bad shape, it doesn't make much sense to spend money on them. Since obviously you have problems with corrosion, you might think about getting a plastic fuel tank similar to what the stock tanks are in capacity and dimensions. I think they are available from JC Wjitney, LMC truck and many auto parts stores.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
5/16 ID hose 1" long = .05c
3/8-1/4 fuel clamp = .98c
Getting rid of that dang leak = PRICELESS :D :D

I finally got to say it :thumbsup: .

subway

Reaction score
JRED wats amatter wit ya, I had a sender here
rear tanks from 87-97 are the same. that I know.

:frustratewell now my story is that it is new now and i shouldent have to worry about it for a long time. what do ya do :dunno

i have feed you enough money anyway:D :D :D

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
That is what I thought too... but the dealer and the parts guys all say that something was different for 90/91 with the pickup/sender :dunno

Anyway, I pick up the new front tank and gasket/lock ring tomorrow. The front pickup looks great so I just have to find out how to switch over my fuel lines (switcher broke many moons ago, sorta stuck things together to make it work in the rear tank "perminatly") and get the fuel gauge switched over as well...

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
5/16 ID hose 1" long = .05c
3/8-1/4 fuel clamp = .98c
Getting rid of that dang leak = PRICELESS :D :D

The thought did cross my mind... but it's just a hair off the lid where it goes through, so I can't see it being possible to get the rubber down that low to cover it, much less get the clamp around it. I was thinking of cleaning it up enough to solder it closed too... but I think it's a lost cause.

subway

Reaction score
if a gasser swichter would work from a 81 f150 i have one in parts truck cheep.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
No sense having a switcher if I only have one tank ;) But thanks for the thought! I have been getting along with just the rear tank, so just the front tank should be good. When the one tank needs fuel it is about time to add oil so it starts to show up on the dip stick again anyway.

In all honesty, I love the motor, and the truck... but I am sure it took more then one bath in water. The motor is going to need some major work soon and it's not a good enough body/running gear to throw in much more to it. Just got to pay off my shop and look for another one :)

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
JRED wats amatter wit ya, I had a sender here

They are? Everything I have ever done/heard/read even the 92-93 is different. I need a sender/tank for my '92. Im acctually going to do the plastic 32 Gallon Bronco conversion seems how I need everything new, and dont want to spend double just to have 2 tanks, when one of the same capacity of fine.

So, the tank opening for the sender/pickup, and the wire connection is exactly the same for ALL 87-97 IDI trucks??
Or whats the interchangeability?