Fuel Mileage - Be Honest

cdennyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I said believe it or not...
It's the truth.

The wear bars were starting to show completely across the tread but that just means they have about 1/16" left. Still drivable but I started to wonder now and again when I was loaded.

The mileage is the best I can do, I certainly get passed on the freeway a lot but it seems most of the time, I seem to catch up at the off-ramp anyway.

db

gandalf1g

Reaction score
Greetings;
I have a 2001 3500 drw 4WD six spd. HO. During the summer I get 16-17 mixed driving. Winter im getting 13-14 mpg. Thats with 800 to 1000 lbs in the box at all times on goodyear armour-steel radials. I would probably do better with a less agressive tire tread.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting 20-22 unloaded at 68 on the highway. 14.5 pulling 10,000 pounds on the highway between Columbia, SC and Asheville (BIG HILLS). Mixed driving yields about 20-21 if I take it easy.

Mike

banyon

Reaction score
If I drive with milege in mind, I get 16 in town & 23 on the open road. I have a buddy who only gets 14 & 17 so who knows.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the "mileage flash" as part of the reflash to correct a rationality error between 3 temperature sensors (temperature rationality sensor).

FordGuy100

Reaction score
-cussi see way too many 20+ mpg numbers. i'm green with envy at this point.:D

Aww come on, my truck with no overdrive has gotten practically 20mpg. I would be willing to bet if I threw in a ZF-5 speed, on the highway at 60mph, I could easily get 22+mpg. I'm basing that off of the fact that I got 19.7mpg doing 60mph going into and out of town on backroads when I was N/A. On the freeway, at 60mph, with my turbo, and a ZF-5 speed, I should be able to get 22+.

But those cummins do have a lot more power......but at like 6 times the cost of my truck :D.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get 8 - 10 pulling a travel trailer or fifth wheel and 14 - 16 empty running 62 MPH down the interstate and only squeezing the pedal hard just enough to accelerate up to speed.... I am a fairly conservative driver and a professional driver....... Hand Calculated.... Ran 11,000 miles the last 3 weeks.... half towing......you don't wanna see my fuel bill

Anybody wonder why I'm now looking into an '02 - '04 Dodge 3/4 ton Here

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
See you've got a lot of variables in these trucks and therefore a lot of mileage differences. 30 mpg is probably not far fetched depending on the speeds driven. Low speeds, say around 60 or so, may give you high numbers. 2wd or 4x4? Big difference. The biggest is if some of these folks are claimining their MPG based on the overhead computer, especially if they combine that with a tuner (Banks sucks, if you want real power go with something else.)

For reference my 14 year old '93 Cummins, factory stock with nothig but a little tweak on the smoke screw and Lucas synthetic in teh pumpkin and Getrag, gets a wide range of mileages. If I run 65 on the interstate I get 20 mpg. Bump it up to 70 and that drops to 19.5. Go up to 80 (which is about all it will do) and it drops to about 18. Going the other way, if I run 55 I can get into the low to mid 20s.

For the new folks here, it would be nice if ya'll filled out the signature box with your truck specs so that we know what you're talking about when you post a question.

aztrooper

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Ram 3500 dually with the 5.9 six speed manual trans and 213000 miles. I use it to tow new 5th wheel RV trailers from the manufacturers to dealers around the country. I regularly get 11.5 mpg with the trailer and no wind (about 12.5K trailer weight) at 67mph and 24+ empty at 2100 rpm or about 71mph. You're going to get less until it's broken in. Bob