Fuel line heater?

Randy C

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 1987 Ford E350 cutaway van that has a 6.9 idi engine. I'm in the process of installing a Facet Dura-lift pump and would like to know if anyone on the forum knows if the fuel line running from the lift pump to the filter housing has a fuel line heater in it. I noticed a fat section on this metal line with two black wires coming out of it. I'm planning to install my new pump where the AC compressor sat and need to know if I need to cut and flare the old metal fuel line to preserve what might be a fuel heater.

Thanks for any help provided.

Randy

Randy C

Reaction score
Thank you GM for the confirmation. Now, that said, I should try to keep it. I'm thinking of cutting it down and flaring it so that it will run from the pump over to the filter head. Sound like a good idea?
Thanks,
Randy C

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Depends on your climate. And future travel plans. Your signature doesn’t give your location. I have never needed a fuel heater, even at 8,000 feet. But I pre dosed with Power Service before I went up there....

Randy C

Reaction score
Northern Minnesota, north shore of Lake Superior. Gets cold up here, so I will try to keep it. I have looked at new fuel heaters online and they can cost $150 or so.
Thanks for your thoughts.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, the fuel heaters, especially the 7.3 style in the filter head don’t do much. Many have unhooked/deleted them with no I’ll effects. I know in the 6.0 trucks, the early trucks, like my 03 Excursion have a fuel heater, but the later trucks and the replacement HFCM’s don’t have a heater. I’ve never had a working heater on any of my IDI’s and the one in my 6.0 has been disconnected for nearly a decade. You’re much better off keeping the fuel treated to prevent gelling than relying on one of these little heaters. I do live where it get to 0f and below for several days in a row.

I actually keep a 1/2 tap on the shelf to thread and plug the hole in the 7.3 style head. I know many have unhooked the heaters on the 7.3PSD because it shares the same fuse with the PCM and WHEN the heater shorts out and blows the fuse, the truck won’t run......