Fuel level sending units

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming from the German cars world, you never deter from Bosch so I'm planning to run Bosch if they'll hold up to diesel fuel, they're like 30 bux on amazon

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many times have someone cleaned up alge outta and idi tank?
Boilermakers....
The crud affects more than the filters...
But hay

Last edited:

ccsrf

Reaction score
Aftermarket sending unit from LMC working great so far . my 93 7.3 idi isn't leaving me stranded anymore..

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My senders do the same exact thing at around 1/4 tank. Really messes with me when I don't drive it for months on end and can't remember if its reading empty but at 1/4 tank, or actually empty.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummmm
What are you asking here???
Would stanadyne be considered a snake oil? And if so does it suck too? I'm just curious because I've heard nothing but good stuff about it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine stop leak
Tranny conditioner
Motor medic
Ga'ron'teed to pass emissions
These are snake oils.

Solvents and lubricity agents are not.
Look up auto rx

Sorry if I muddied the h2o
The member powersmoke, (oils engineering) look him up he was active back when.

tonyj54

Reaction score
Okay. Not to hijack thread, but the rear tank of my 86 6.9 doesn't read at all. I just fill it up and run it til empty, then switch to the front, which works fine.

Help!?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you entertain cleaning up the resistance coil first?
The labor to get at them would make me want new ones tho.

Here's a picture showing the resistive element you can try cleaning but in my experience they tend to have spots worn off of them like this one which causes it to do weird things.

You could find the cheapest gasser unit and just swap the circuit board to fix your sender, just one wire to solder or cut and splice to the old wire.
You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh that sux...
Yep planned obsolescence.
Crap no wonder they fail

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a picture showing the resistive element you can try cleaning but in my experience they tend to have spots worn off of them like this one which causes it to do weird things.

To the original poster, you situation reads like what ^^^he^^^ said.

Many many years ago, I retrofitted both of my factory tanks with generic J.C.Whitney sending units that had ohm readings that agreed with my year model truck's gauge by following an excellent tutorial article by some guy on FTE. The $16 J.C.Whitney units have far outlived the original Ford units and are still reading accurate.
Also, years and years ago, I disconnected my gauge wires from the factory selector switch and routed them through a SPDT switch.
You MUST get sending units that are agreeable with your dash gauge.
My big auxilliary tank has a SunPro gauge and sending unit kit that has also proved to be accurate and has held up for years.
Gauge accuracy is 99% dependent on how much care one puts into adjusting the float arm and rod; I spent hours with all of mine and FULL means full and EMPTY means you are out of fuel in that tank --- there is no five gallon variance.

..... when I don't drive it for months on end and can't remember if its reading empty but at 1/4 tank, or actually empty.

If you are leaving a diesel tank sit for spells and not brim-full of fuel, you probably have a 1/4-tank of fungus floating around in there; sooner or later, it will start breaking up and clogging filters, screens, and lines.
I learned about that the hard way and it is not easy to get rid of; a clear see-thru Goldenrod filter is your best friend.